Information about free online courses?

In summary, the conversation discusses the benefits and credibility of online courses from platforms like coursera.org and M.I.T. The courses involve video lectures and weekly assignments with a completion deadline. While some courses offer certificates of completion, they do not currently hold any college credit. The purpose of these courses is to expand knowledge and skills, and there are plans to make them more credible in the future. However, the issue of cheating and cost has yet to be resolved.
Ascendant78
I have found sites like coursera.org, and I have also heard that M.I.T. offers free online courses as well (though I have yet to have browsed their site for them). I am wondering how these courses work? I see that you get certificates of completion, but do they have any actual meaning? Is it just something extra to tack onto the college resume, or can any of them actually provide you with college credits?

Also, how do those that offer these free courses benefit from them? Why offer them completely free? It's one of those things that sounds too good to be true, but I have heard they are legit. If anyone knows more about them and can fill me in, I'd really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
These courses mostly work on the following principle: you have video lectures offered every week (following a specific course syllabus), and you can watch them whenever you want. However, you also have weekly assignments which have a due date for completion. In general, the platforms work just fine (I am referring to Coursera and EdX here, since they are the most serious and successful attempts so far).

Regarding the credibility of the certificates, some course have started to offer identity verification, but this is rare so far. However, in the close future, I think it is likely that this will become a standard.

Still, with identity verification or not, I don't think this is relevant, since you can always list your courses in your CV - the point is to broaden your set of skills and knowledge. I have 4 courses so far, 3 from Coursera and 1 from EdX, and I am very pleased with every single one of them. This form of education is definitely an important part of the future of education.

At the moment, no colleges are accepting any free online courses for credit. EdX is hoping to change that, but it hasn't happened yet. They still haven't gotten around all the cheating issues; any good solution is going to cost someone money. So the classes are mostly just for your own enlightenment right now.

1. What are free online courses?

Free online courses are educational courses that are offered over the internet at no cost. These courses typically cover a wide range of topics and are open to anyone who has access to the internet.

2. How can I enroll in a free online course?

To enroll in a free online course, you typically need to visit the website of the course provider and follow the instructions for registration. Some courses may require you to create an account, while others may allow you to enroll without an account.

3. Are free online courses accredited?

Not all free online courses are accredited, meaning they do not offer college credit or a recognized certification. However, some free online courses offered by reputable universities or organizations may offer certificates of completion or credit upon successful completion of the course.

4. What types of courses are available for free online?

There is a wide variety of courses available for free online, including courses in business, technology, languages, healthcare, and more. Some courses may be introductory level, while others may be more advanced and require prior knowledge or experience.

5. How can I make the most out of a free online course?

To make the most out of a free online course, it is important to set realistic goals and dedicate time and effort to completing the course. It is also helpful to actively participate in discussions, complete assignments, and seek additional resources or support if needed.