Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Information transfer that is faster than c?

1. Sep 17, 2010 #1
    If I were to have some material, that was rigid, and was also say, 300,000,000 metres long. If I were to poke it at one end, would another observer see an instantaneous response at the other end? Ie, would the information I put into one end of the material travel faster than the speed of light to the other end?

I guess it woudln't be so easy. I assume that poking it counts as a sort of pressure wave that would have to be transferred through all the electrostatic processes along the way, which would be limited by c? Then I guess, can you argue that there is such thing as an incompressible material? (at least in regards to the force of my jabbing finger)
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2010 #2

Gold Member

Correct, the electromagnetic processes have to carry the information the whole way, and no, by your previous thought process, you can't have an incompressible material.
  4. Sep 17, 2010 #3
    Alright then. So if we had the power to observe the material, would we see the side I poke move slightly, and then a sort of compression wave propogate through the material (like you could imagine a sound wave compressing air), warping the dimensions as it goes? Do you know if the speed of this wave has a speed that is constant, or is a consequence of the materials properties, like density I guess?
  5. Sep 17, 2010 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe it literally is a sound wave.
  6. Sep 17, 2010 #5

Science Advisor

Yes. And the speed at which the wave propogates is the speed of sound in that material.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook