Infrared absorption spectrum of CO2 at 4,3 µm

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of CO2 and its optical properties. The individual is seeking information about the absorption spectrum of CO2, specifically the absorption band at 4.3µm. They ask for recommendations for articles or books on the subject, as well as a picture of the spectrum with absorbance and wavelength. A suggested resource is provided as a possible solution.
hwest
Hello! I'm writing a thesis about the optical properties of CO2. However I'm having a hard time finding any solid material about the basic info of the absorption spectrum of CO2. I'm especially interested in the absorption band at approximately 4,3µm. If any of you guys know some good articles or books about it then let me know! I would really appreciate it, Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also if anyone could find a decent picture of the spectrum with absorbance on the vertical axis and wavelength on the horizontal axis i would appreciate it!

How about: http://www.wag.caltech.edu/home/jang/genchem/infrared.htm
There's a chart there.

1. What is the significance of the 4,3 µm wavelength in the infrared absorption spectrum of CO2?

The 4,3 µm wavelength corresponds to a specific vibrational mode of the CO2 molecule, known as the symmetric stretch. This wavelength is important because it is where CO2 molecules strongly absorb infrared radiation, leading to the greenhouse effect and contributing to climate change.

2. How is the infrared absorption spectrum of CO2 at 4,3 µm measured?

The infrared absorption spectrum of CO2 at 4,3 µm can be measured using spectroscopy techniques. This involves passing a beam of infrared radiation through a sample of CO2 and measuring the amount of radiation that is absorbed. The resulting absorption spectrum shows peaks at specific wavelengths, including the 4,3 µm wavelength.

3. Can the infrared absorption spectrum of CO2 at 4,3 µm be used to identify CO2 in the atmosphere?

Yes, the 4,3 µm wavelength is specific to the symmetric stretch of CO2 and is therefore a unique identifier for this molecule. By measuring the absorption of infrared radiation at this wavelength, scientists can detect and quantify the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.

4. How does the 4,3 µm wavelength in the infrared absorption spectrum of CO2 relate to climate change?

The 4,3 µm wavelength is within the range of infrared radiation that is trapped by greenhouse gases like CO2. As CO2 levels in the atmosphere increase, more of this radiation is trapped, leading to an increase in global temperatures and contributing to climate change.

5. Can variations in the 4,3 µm wavelength be used to track changes in CO2 levels over time?

Yes, the strength of the infrared absorption at the 4,3 µm wavelength is directly proportional to the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere. By measuring changes in this wavelength over time, scientists can track the levels of CO2 in the atmosphere and understand the effects of human activities on the Earth's climate.