1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a light source that produces an absorption spectrum?

1. Nov 23, 2012 #1
    This is an observational exercise where I have to find several different light sources and observe their spectra through a diffraction grating, then record my observations. I need two sources of each (i.e. continuous, emission, absorption).

Continuous and emission are fairly easy, but for the life of me I can't think what I could observe that would produce an absorption spectrum. I know that absorption spectra come about when there is an absorbing material like cool gas in front of a black body but I don't really know how I could find something like that. I thought maybe if I looked at a light source from far away in cold weather that might do it, but I still didn't see an absorption spectrum. Any help or hints would be much appreciated!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The sun itself produces absorption spectrum of its outer atmosphere: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraunhofer_lines.

You can make a "light source" showing absorption spectrum by placing a coloured liquid (solution of some dye, or solution of KMnO4...) in front of a simple tungsten lamp.

ehild

4. Nov 24, 2012 #3
    Brilliant, thanks! I hadn't thought of that. I feel a bit stupid now.

5. Nov 24, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Or it can be a colour filter glass or a simple coloured glass in front of the tungsten lamp... :smile:

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook