1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inhomogeneous differential equation, boundary

1. Oct 18, 2009 #1
    y"+by'+c=0
    y(0)=y(1)=0

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2009 #2
    Actually, the equation only implies y', so the equation for z=y' is first order and can be directly integrated by variation of constants (assume the same solution as for the homogeneous equation, z=C*exp(-b/a *x), and the assume C is a function of x). solve for C, and then you will get z=y'. integrate this and you will get y

4. Oct 19, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you have a question about this? It looks like homework to me and so belongs in the homework section. What have YOU done on it. It is a relatively simple linear equation with constant coefficients. What is the associated homogeneous equation? What is its characteristic equation?

5. Oct 19, 2009 #4
    Thanks a million Gato!
    ==========================================
    No, Hall. It's not homework. Probably the terse manner in which I plastered on the board gave that impression.

6. Oct 19, 2009 #5
    This is what I had done previously:

Take the homogeneous side:y"+by'=0
    Condition: y is never zero.
    General solution for homogeneous: y = e^mx
    Substituting: (m^2+bm)e^mx = 0
    e^mx is never zero.
    Then: m^2 + bm = 0 (characteristic equation)
    b never zero (condition above).
    Then: m(m+b)=0; m=0; m=-b
    y=c1 + c2e^(-bx)
    y(0)=0; then, c1 + c2 = 0
    y(1)=0; then, c2e^(-b)= 0

I have a non-trivial solution only if the det: [1 1]
    [0 e^(-b)]
    {which is equal to e^(-b)} is zero.
    If not, then y=0 (trivial solution)

But this is a Reynold's equation (fluid dynamics) and the function cannot be zero throughout

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  7. Oct 20, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

the theorem you state, that there is a non-trivial solution only if the Jacobian is zero is only for homogeneous equations. The trivial solution is always a solution to homogeneous equations so there is a non-trival solution only if the solution is not unique. That is not the case for non-homogeneous equations as you have here.

Okay, the characteristic equation is [itex]r^2+ br= r(r+b)= 0[/itex] and so the characteristic roots are 0 and -b. The general solution to the associated homogeneous equation is [itex]y= A+ Be^{-bt}[/itex].

Since a constant already satisfies the homogeneous equations, try a particular solution of the form Pt. Then y'= P, y"= 0 so y"+ y'= bP= c. P= c/b and the particular solution is (c/b)t.

The general solution to the entire equation, then, is y(t)= A+ Be^{-bt}+ (c/b)t.

Setting t= 0, y(0)= A= 0.

Setting t= 1, [itex]y(1)= Be^{-b}+ (c/b)= 0[/itex] so [itex]Be^{-b}= -c/b[/itex] and [itex]B= (-c/b)e^{b}[/itex].

[itex]y(t)= (-c/b)e^{b}e^{-bt}+ (c/b)t= (c/b)(t- e^{b(1- t)})[/itex] is the only solution to that problem.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  8. Oct 20, 2009 #7
    Thanks Hall. I had stopped at the homogeneous because I didn't think of the Pt type solution of the inhomogeneous.
    However, for t=0, y(0)=0= A+B , instead of A (as you wrote). (1/(e^0)=1)
    Right?
    Or have I lost all my faculties?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook