1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inital value problem, Laplace transform

1. Sep 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve inital value problem: x''+2x'+x=g(t)

g(t)=
    t 0<t<1
    2-t 1<t<2
    0 t>2

2. Relevant equations

Second shift theorem, Heaviside function and Laplace transforms. I denote Heaviside,functuon H(t-a), and Laplace transform with L

3. The attempt at a solution

I rewrote the problem with Heaviside functions:

g(t)=t+(2-t)H(t-1)
    L(t+(2-t)H(t-1))= [itex]\frac{1}{s^{2}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{2e^{-s}}{s^{2}}[/itex]

After this I transformed the original diff. equation and plugged in my transform of g(t). After some simplification I got:

G(s)=(1-[itex]2e^{-s}[/itex])([itex]\frac{1}{s^{2}(s+1)^{2}}[/itex])
    And after partial fraction decomp. I got:

G(s)=(1-[itex]2e^{-s}[/itex])([itex]\frac{2}{s}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{s^{2}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{(s+1)^{2}}[/itex])

If I use inverse Laplace transform I get

x(t)=f(t)-2f(t-1)H(t-1)

where

f(t)=(t+2)e[itex]^{-t}[/itex]+t-2

According to my book, this is only about half of the answer. I am missing some step and I cant figure out what is it! All help is appreciated

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I didn't check your work, but I notice that you haven't mentioned the initial conditions. Unless you were given x(0) = 0 and x'(0) = 0 you have left something out, which might explain why you don't have the whole answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook