Initial Mass Function - how many stars are born

In summary, the conversation is about the Initial Mass Function (IMF) which describes the probability of a star of a particular mass forming. The IMF equation is P(m)dm = km^-a dm, where k is a normalization constant and a is a dimensionless exponent. The problem involves determining the number of stars and the fraction of stars that would blow up as supernovae in a giant molecular cloud with a mass of 10^4 M(sun) converting 1% of its mass into stars, assuming a Salpeter IMF. Additional equations and resources are mentioned, including a thread on a physics forum.
hullio
Hello everyone. I have a problem listed below. I am very lost due to the fact that my teacher literally just gave us this problem to do and expects us to hand it in soon without even teaching/talking about this topic in class. I did some research over the Internet on IMF, but still am pretty confused. I really have tried my best at attempting this problem, but nothing is working since I literally don't have a clue how to approach this. I really wish my teacher explained this.

Homework Statement

The Initial Mass Function describes in a relative sense how likely a star of a particular mass is likely to form. It has been found from counts of starts as a function of mass that probability P(m)dm of forming stars with masses between m and m + dm (called the IMF) is given by P(m)dm = km^-a dm, where k is a normalization constant determined by requiring that P = 1 when integrated over all possible stellar masses (i.e. 0.007 M(sun) to 50 M(sun)). If you have an ensemble of N stars born all at the same time, then, the number of stars with masses between m and m + dm is N P(m)dm and the mass associated with those stars is mNP(m)dm. Suppose that a giant molecular cloud with a mass of 10^4 M(sun) converts 1% of its mass into stars. Assume that stars form according to a Salpeter IMF.

How many stars are born? What fraction of the stars will blow up as supernovae? Would you expect to see a supernova? Explain.

Homework Equations

P(m)dm = km^-a dm

mNP(m)dm

The Attempt at a Solution

Masses which are important for this problem are 10,000 and 100? What about the 0.07 and 50 - do they have anything to do with the problem? Also, what is 'a'? 'a' is defined as a dimensionless exponent (Wiki).

I also came across this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=230930 in which a member 'malawi_glenn' talks about a certain formula:

"...if you want to calculate the number of stars between mass m1 and m2:https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/17/1703469-5.png "[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ur in mccalls class eh

1. What is the Initial Mass Function (IMF)?

The Initial Mass Function (IMF) is a mathematical function that describes the distribution of masses for a population of newly formed stars. It shows how many stars are expected to have a certain mass at the time of their formation.

2. How is the IMF determined?

The IMF is determined through observations of star-forming regions in our galaxy and other galaxies. By measuring the masses of young stars in these regions, scientists can create a distribution of masses and calculate the IMF.

3. Is the IMF the same for all star-forming regions?

No, the IMF can vary slightly between different star-forming regions. However, it has been found to be consistent across different galaxies and even in regions within the same galaxy.

4. Why is the IMF important?

The IMF is important because it provides valuable information about the process of star formation and the properties of stellar populations. It also helps us understand the evolution of galaxies and the distribution of matter in the universe.

5. Can the IMF change over time?

The IMF is thought to be relatively constant over time, but there is some evidence that it may have changed in the early universe. Ongoing research and observations are being conducted to better understand the potential evolution of the IMF.