1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Initial Mass Function - how many stars are born

1. Feb 1, 2010 #1
    Hello everyone. I have a problem listed below. I am very lost due to the fact that my teacher literally just gave us this problem to do and expects us to hand it in soon without even teaching/talking about this topic in class. I did some research over the Internet on IMF, but still am pretty confused. I really have tried my best at attempting this problem, but nothing is working since I literally don't have a clue how to approach this. I really wish my teacher explained this.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The Initial Mass Function describes in a relative sense how likely a star of a particular mass is likely to form. It has been found from counts of starts as a function of mass that probability P(m)dm of forming stars with masses between m and m + dm (called the IMF) is given by P(m)dm = km^-a dm, where k is a normalization constant determined by requiring that P = 1 when integrated over all possible stellar masses (i.e. 0.007 M(sun) to 50 M(sun)). If you have an ensemble of N stars born all at the same time, then, the number of stars with masses between m and m + dm is N P(m)dm and the mass associated with those stars is mNP(m)dm. Suppose that a giant molecular cloud with a mass of 10^4 M(sun) converts 1% of its mass into stars. Assume that stars form according to a Salpeter IMF.

How many stars are born? What fraction of the stars will blow up as supernovae? Would you expect to see a supernova? Explain.

2. Relevant equations
    P(m)dm = km^-a dm

mNP(m)dm

3. The attempt at a solution

Masses which are important for this problem are 10,000 and 100? What about the 0.07 and 50 - do they have anything to do with the problem? Also, what is 'a'? 'a' is defined as a dimensionless exponent (Wiki).

I also came across this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=230930 in which a member 'malawi_glenn' talks about a certain formula:

"...if you want to calculate the number of stars between mass m1 and m2:https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/17/1703469-5.png [Broken]"[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2010 #2
    ur in mccalls class eh

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook