Initial Tension Of Parallel Spring System

In summary, the problem is to calculate the initial tension of two parallel springs with a total force of 5.33213N and a combined spring constant of 53.0597, given an individual spring tension of 0.25N and a displacement of 0.095. The equation used is Ftotal - Initial Tension = Ktotal*x, and the expected answer is 0.5N. However, there is confusion regarding the placement of the variables in the equation.
stannard97

Homework Statement

How to calculate initial tension or pretension in a system of two parallel springs.
F=5.33213N
K1+K2=53.0597
x=0.095

Individual springs have initial tension of 0.25N so I would expect an answer of 0.5N but I can't get there.

Homework Equations

F=(k1+k2)x

The Attempt at a Solution

Total force applied - Initial tension = (k1+k2)x
Total force applied - (k1+k2)x = Initial tension = 0.29?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you please restate the problem exactly as it reads? And provide a drawing perhaps? Also, I have never seen the word pretension used that way. Ever.

Those pretentious springs! Such over-inflated senses of self-worth!

AlephNumbers said:
Could you please restate the problem exactly as it reads? And provide a drawing perhaps? Also, I have never seen the word pretension used that way. Ever.
Calculate the initial tension of two springs in parallel by treating them as a single spring. Initial tension as in the force needed to begin extending the spring. Ktotal is the sum of individual spring constants and total force is shared between both springs.

Attachments

• upload_2015-3-23_19-39-16.png
    upload_2015-3-23_19-39-16.png
    190 bytes · Views: 515
I would say that (k1 + k2)x - F = initial spring tension, not F - (k1 + k2)x.

Think about the initial state of the springs. The tension in them can be expressed as (k1 + k2)[x][/0] and then the force F further stretches the springs to the value (k1 + k2)x. Thus, (k1 - k2)x - F = initial tension.

AlephNumbers said:
I would say that (k1 + k2)x - F = initial spring tension, not F - (k1 + k2)x.
But Fafter equilibrium=ktotal*x
where Ftotal is F required to overcome initial tension+Fafter equilibrium
so Ftotal-Initial Tension=ktotal*x

Yeah that looks good. Thank you for clearly and concisely representing the quantities.

What is initial tension of a parallel spring system?

Initial tension of a parallel spring system is the force that is applied to the springs when they are first assembled. It is the tension that is present in the springs before any external forces are applied.

How is initial tension calculated?

Initial tension can be calculated by measuring the length of the springs when they are not under load and then measuring the length when a known force is applied. The difference between these two lengths is the initial tension.

Why is initial tension important in a parallel spring system?

Initial tension is important in a parallel spring system because it affects the overall stiffness and behavior of the system. It also helps to prevent the springs from becoming loose or unstable when external forces are applied.

How does initial tension affect the natural frequency of a parallel spring system?

The natural frequency of a parallel spring system is affected by the initial tension because it determines the stiffness of the system. A higher initial tension will result in a higher natural frequency, while a lower initial tension will result in a lower natural frequency.

Can the initial tension of a parallel spring system be adjusted?

Yes, the initial tension of a parallel spring system can be adjusted by changing the length of the springs or by changing the force applied during assembly. This can be useful in fine-tuning the system's behavior and response to external forces.