Why is W Tot not equal to W Glider on Spring in Newton's Third Law?

In summary, the textbook example did not include the work done by the glider against friction. This would be equal to W spring on glider. This would not include the work done by the spring against friction.
Selfless_Gene

Homework Statement

Hello I am solving a problem that requires me to find the max distance of a glider with spring attached to it. I am getting confused on Work total, in an example in my textbook W total is the W friction + W spring on glider = W total. My question is why did the textbook example not include W glider on spring. I know these are action reaction pairs from Newtons third law, but is this valid to say W tot is only equal to W friction + W spring?

Thank You

Homework Equations

W tot = K2 - K1

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Selfless_Gene said:

Homework Statement

Hello I am solving a problem that requires me to find the max distance of a glider with spring attached to it. I am getting confused on Work total, in an example in my textbook W total is the W friction + W spring on glider = W total. My question is why did the textbook example not include W glider on spring. I know these are action reaction pairs from Newtons third law, but is this valid to say W tot is only equal to W friction + W spring?

Thank You

Homework Equations

W tot = K2 - K1

The Attempt at a Solution

You need to be clear what total is being considered. Total work done by what, or done on what?
"W friction + W spring on glider" suggests you want the total work done by the spring, and that this includes some work done against friction whilst accelerating the glider. Is that right?
Work done by the glider on the spring is equal and opposite to that done by the spring on the glider, so if you add them they will cancel out.

Likes Selfless_Gene and Chestermiller
haruspex said:
You need to be clear what total is being considered. Total work done by what, or done on what?
"W friction + W spring on glider" suggests you want the total work done by the spring, and that this includes some work done against friction whilst accelerating the glider. Is that right?
Work done by the glider on the spring is equal and opposite to that done by the spring on the glider, so if you add them they will cancel out.

When I refer to total work my textbook has a formula and which is W tot = K2-K1. So to be more clear my question is in order to use this formula do we have to consider all the work done in this system by all forces? I ask this because in the example they used W tot = W fric + W spring on glider . It did not include W glider on spring.

Thank You

Selfless_Gene said:
my textbook has a formula and which is W tot = K2-K1
That appears to be expressing the increase in KE. That would be right if it means the total work done on a mass.
If the mass is a glider being accelerated by a spring that encounters friction, it would equal "W spring on glider". It would not include the work done by the spring against friction.
Selfless_Gene said:
in the example they used W tot = W fric + W spring on glider
That would be right for the total work done by the spring. It would not equal K2-K1.
Now, I don't know where exactly this friction acts during acceleration. Maybe some acts directly on the spring while other friction acts on the glider:
Code:
Total work done by spring
    ├→ Work done by spring against friction during acceleration
    ↓
Work done by spring on glider
    ├→ Work done by glider against friction during acceleration
    ↓
Total work done on glider
    =  increase in glider KE
Could you post the section of the textbook, maybe as an image?

What is the definition of "work total"?

The term "work total" refers to the total amount of work done in a specific situation or over a certain period of time. It can also be referred to as "total work" or "work done".

How is "work total" calculated?

The calculation of work total depends on the specific situation and the type of work being done. In general, it is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance over which the force is applied. The unit of measurement for work total is joules (J) in the SI system.

What factors affect the value of "work total"?

The value of work total can be affected by several factors such as the magnitude of the force applied, the distance over which the force is applied, and the angle between the force and the direction of motion. Friction and other external forces can also impact the value of work total.

What is the difference between "work total" and "net work"?

While work total refers to the total amount of work done, net work takes into account the direction of the force and the displacement. Net work is calculated by subtracting the work done by opposing forces from the total work done.

How is "work total" related to energy?

Work and energy are closely related concepts, and the work total done on an object is equal to the change in its energy. This is known as the work-energy theorem. Work can also be used to calculate the potential and kinetic energy of an object.