1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential energy of a displaced mass on a spring

1. Jan 24, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A spring of negligible mass exerts a restoring force on a point mass M given by F(x)= (-k1x)+(k2x^2) where k1 and k2 >0. Calculate the potential energy U(x) stored in the spring for a displacement x. Take U=0 at x=0.

2. Relevant equations

ΔU=∫F(x)dx
    U=½kx^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the equation above I tried to find the potential energy of the spring after it has been displaced by some distance x. I integrated F(x) from x=0 to some displacement x=x0.

ΔU=∫(-k1x)+(k2x^2)dx

ΔU=-k1½x0^2+k2⅓x0^3

Is this the right way in finding the potential energy?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Almost. Basically you are going to refine your second relevant equation. So if ##k_2 = 0## you should find it back. Do you ?

[edit] hint: what about the discrepancy between 1st and 2nd relevant equation ?

4. Jan 24, 2017 #3
    So then I can use the fact that ΔU= Uf-Ui= ½kxf^2-½kxi^2. Where f is final and i is initial?
    If this is correct, then xi=0 and that term drops out. Then I would be left with ½kxf^2 = -k1½x0^2+k2⅓x0^3

5. Jan 24, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No. As BvU was hinting, that equation is only valid if F(x)=-kx.
    No, for the reason given above.
    Yes, except that you have a Δ on the left, implying a difference between two different states. On the right, you have assumed that one of those states is x=0. Try to write it consistently.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted