Initial Value problem with complex roots

In summary: Also note that the particular solution you found is not the only one that works. Any solution of the equation will work so long as you can find the constants. For example, y_p= 1/3 sin(t) + 3 works.Here is a different way. It is the same as guessing but is often easier to do in practice. In the old days we called this "undetermined coefficients".The idea is to assume that y_p= Ae^rt.y_p'= A re^rty_p"= A r^2e^rtSub this into the original equation to getAr^2e^rt + 4Ar^2e^rt =1So you can see that Ae^
ManMonkeyFish
1.Solve the following initial value problem

d^2y/dt^2 + 4y = { 1, 0<= t <=Pi/2 } {sin(t), Pi/2 < t}

y(0) = 2

y'(0) = -1

I used y(t) = e^rt
3. For y'' + 4y' =1

y(t)= e^rt
Yp(0)=1

r^2+4 = 0
r = 2i

y1(t) = C1 Cos(2t) + C2Sin(2t) + Yp(0)
y1'(t) = -2C1Sin(2t) + 2C2Cos(2t)

y1(0) = 2 = C1 +1
y1'(0) = -1 = 2C2
C1 = 1
C2 = -1/2

y1(t) = Cos(2t) - 1/2 Sin(2t) + 1
y1'(t) = -2Sin(2t) - Cos(2t)

y1(Pi/2) = 0 ??

y1'(Pi/2) = 1

for t > Pi/2

0 = y1(Pi/2) = C1
1 = y1'(pi/2) = 2C2

C1 = 0
C2 = 1/2

so my answer is

-2Sin(2t) - Cos(2t) 0<= t <= Pi/2

Cos(2t) Pi/2 < t

Which I believe is wrong, I think I made a mistake at this step:cry:

y1(Pi/2) = 0 ??

Thank you for any help, this one has been giving me problems:yuck: .
I need to find out where I am going wrong, and I appreciate any and all feedback.

Physics news on Phys.org
ManMonkeyFish said:

y(0) = 2

y'(0) = -1

I used y(t) = e^rt

3. For y'' + 4y' =1

y(t)= e^rt
Yp(0)=1

r^2+4 = 0
r = 2i

y1(0) = 2 = C1 +1

Yp(0)? Yp(0)=1? No, I don't think so. Put y1(t) into the original equation.

ManMonkeyFish said:

y(0) = 2

y'(0) = -1

I used y(t) = e^rt

3. For y'' + 4y' =1

typo. You mean y"+4y= 1

y(t)= e^rt
Yp(0)=1
Is yp a "particular solution to the whole equation? If so this is wrong. Since the right hand side is a constant, you can look for a particular solution that is a constant but not necessarily 1! What happens if you put y(t)= A (a constant into the equation?

r^2+4 = 0
r = 2i

y1(0) = 2 = C1 +1
y1'(0) = -1 = 2C2
Good except that it is NOT "+ 1".

C1 = 1
C2 = -1/2

y1'(t) = -2Sin(2t) - Cos(2t)

y1(Pi/2) = 0 ??

y1'(Pi/2) = 1

for t > Pi/2

0 = y1(Pi/2) = C1
1 = y1'(pi/2) = 2C2

C1 = 0
C2 = 1/2

so my answer is

-2Sin(2t) - Cos(2t) 0<= t <= Pi/2

Cos(2t) Pi/2 < t

Which I believe is wrong, I think I made a mistake at this step:cry:

y1(Pi/2) = 0 ??
Thank you for any help, this one has been giving me problems:yuck: .
I need to find out where I am going wrong, and I appreciate any and all feedback.

Are you allowed to use "variation of parameters"? How about Laplace transforms ? (LT are traditionally used for delta and step functions on the RHS).

...beauty bare - but not here...

: )

You have an altogether different partitular solution for t>t/2. Try y_p=Asin(t) +Bcos(t)

HallsofIvy is this the proper way?
Y(p) = 1/4

Y(t) = k (k is a constant)

Y''(t) = 0

so 4k = 1

k = 1/4

Which leads to the first

y(0) => 2 = C1Cos(2t) + C2Sin(2t) + 1/4 (not 1 :cry: )
y'(0) => -1 = -2C1Sin(2t) + 2C2Cos(2t)

C1 = 9/4
C2 = -1/2

which gives

y = 7/4 cos(2t) - 1/2 sin(2t) + 1/4 for 0 <=t <= Pi/2

now using y(p) = aSin(t) + bCos(t) (Thank you gammamcc!)

3aSin(t) + 3bCos(t) plugging in Pi/2 gives 3a = sin(t) (sin(t) , Pi/2 < t)
a= 1/3 sin(t)
Y(p) = 1/3 sin(t)

Is plugging in the values then setting it equal to the bounds legal or do I have to set the sin(t) to sin(Pi/2) as well which would equal 1.
Giving Y(p) = 1/3 instead of Y(p) = 1/3 sin(t)

Using Y(p) = 1/3 sin(t) I have

y = -1/2Sin(2t) + 11/6Cos(2t) + 1/3Sin(t) for Pi/2 < t

If this is correct then would you kindly explain the way at finding the second Y(p) as I do not feel very comfortable in how I arrived at that answer. Thank you!

This way of finding a particular solution is essentially called 'guessing'. Ie guess a form for the answer and then show it works. There is a more systematic way called variation of parameters - but guessing is much easier (when you can do it).

And your answer is correct.

Dick said:
This way of finding a particular solution is essentially called 'guessing'. Ie guess a form for the answer and then show it works. There is a more systematic way called variation of parameters - but guessing is much easier (when you can do it).

So as long as the "guess" fits the form and works it is allowed? So using an equation and setting it equal to the value given, then plugging in the value in the leftside only is acceptable?

Dick said:
And your answer is correct.

Thanks!

Yes. You only need one particular solution. So guess AND SHOW IT WORKS is perfectly valid. Note just guessing is not enough. :)

What is an initial value problem with complex roots?

An initial value problem with complex roots is a type of differential equation that involves a complex-valued function and its derivatives. The solution to this type of problem will have complex numbers as part of its solution.

What is the difference between an initial value problem with real roots and one with complex roots?

The main difference between the two types of initial value problems is the type of solutions they produce. An initial value problem with real roots will have only real numbers as part of its solution, while an initial value problem with complex roots will have both real and complex numbers as part of its solution.

How do you solve an initial value problem with complex roots?

To solve an initial value problem with complex roots, you can use techniques such as substitution, separation of variables, or the method of undetermined coefficients. You may also need to use complex algebra and trigonometry to simplify the solution.

What are some applications of initial value problems with complex roots?

Initial value problems with complex roots are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model systems that involve complex quantities. Examples include modeling electrical circuits or analyzing the behavior of mechanical systems with complex components.

What are some challenges when dealing with initial value problems with complex roots?

One of the main challenges when solving initial value problems with complex roots is the increased complexity of the solution. This can make it more difficult to interpret and apply the solution to real-world problems. Additionally, the use of complex numbers may introduce errors if not handled carefully.