Initial velocity given distance, height, theta. Projectile motion

In summary, the question asks for the initial speed of a baseball thrown at a 30 degree angle to pass a wall 10m high and 1000m away. The relevant equations for this problem are shown in the given attempt at a solution. However, the assumption that the ball passes the wall at the top of its parabolic trajectory is not compatible with the given data. To solve this, the vertical velocity is calculated using the given equations, and then the time to reach the maximum height is found. The horizontal velocity necessary for the ball to travel 1000m during the same time is then calculated. Finally, the initial velocity is found by solving simultaneous equations for x and y positions at the time the ball reaches the wall
hey123a

Homework Statement

A baseball is thrown just so that it is able to pass a wall 10m high at a distance that is 1000m away. If it is aimed 30 degrees above the horizontal, what is the initial speed of the baseball?

Homework Equations

relevant equations shown at the attempt at the solution

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]Vy^2 = Voy^2 + 2ay[/itex]
[itex]Voy = √(Vy^2-2ay)[/itex]
[itex]Voy = √(0^2)-2(-9.8)(10)[/itex]
[itex]Voy = 14m/s[/itex]

[itex]Sin = Opposite/Hypotenuse[/itex]
[itex]Hypotenuse = Opposite/Sin[/itex]
[itex] V = Voy/Sinθ[/itex]
[itex] V = 14/Sin30°[/itex]
[itex] V = 28m/s [/itex]

answer is actually 107

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you assumed that the ball passes the wall at the top of its parabolic trajectory.
But this assumption is not compatible with the given data.
Use the vertical velocity (as calculated) to find the time to reach the maximum height. Then see if it can travel 1000 m horizontally during the same time. Or what horizontal velocity will be necessary to do so.

You just use the conditions given: the height must be 10m when the horizontal distance traveled is 1000 m.

If v is the initial speed, then you want to find v so that the trajectory passes through point (1000,10)m - given a 30 deg elevation. You forgot the 1000m part. note ##\sin(30)=1/2##, ##\cos(30)=v\sqrt{3/4}##

good use of LaTeX BTW:
tip - put a backslash ahead of the trig function so \sin will render as ##\sin## etc.

##opposite=o^2p^2site## to write the word "opposite" you have to put it in \text{}
so it will format as ##\text{opposite}##

nasu said:
Well, you assumed that the ball passes the wall at the top of its parabolic trajectory.
But this assumption is not compatible with the given data.
Use the vertical velocity (as calculated) to find the time to reach the maximum height. Then see if it can travel 1000 m horizontally during the same time. Or what horizontal velocity will be necessary to do so.

You just use the conditions given: the height must be 10m when the horizontal distance traveled is 1000 m.

Okay so,
y = Vot + 1/2gt^2
0 = 1/2gt^2 + Vot - y
0 = 4.9t^2 + 14t - 10
Then I use quadratic formula and I end up with t = 0.688,
so this is the time it takes for the vertical velocity to reach the height?

So now I calculate horizontal velocity necessary to travel 1000m during the same time
Vox = d/t
Vox = 1000m/0.688s
Vox = 1453.488m/s

However I still don't end up with the right answer when I use the pythagorus to solve for the velocity :(

Simon Bridge said:
If v is the initial speed, then you want to find v so that the trajectory passes through point (1000,10)m - given a 30 deg elevation. You forgot the 1000m part. note ##\sin(30)=1/2##, ##\cos(30)=v\sqrt{3/4}##

good use of LaTeX BTW:
tip - put a backslash ahead of the trig function so \sin will render as ##\sin## etc.

##opposite=o^2p^2site## to write the word "opposite" you have to put it in \text{}
so it will format as ##\text{opposite}##
What do you mean by i forgot the 1000m part, and what was wrong with my initial calculations

I'm new here and don't know how to use the fancy text which you guys are using, so I've attached a picture of a worked solution.

As posted before, you cannot just assume that the y velocity is 0 at the time of crossing the wall, I've tried to show why in my drawing.

I wish I could explain this better because I do not think just giving you the solution will help, but I'll try.

The ball is being launched with a particular velocity at the start, with an angle of 30 degrees. Only one velocity will satisfy the conditions of the ball being at (1000,10) after a certain amount of time.

You know that your x has no acceleration, there are many velocities which will get x to 1000.

However, at the same time, your y value must equal 10.

So, this leads to solving for an initial velocity which satisfies both equations

V(0)(t)+0t^2=1000
V(0)(t)-4.9(t)^2=10

(since you have no idea what the final y velocity is and therefore cannot use other kinematic equations)

hope this helps!

edit: Didn't know posting solutions is illegal, so I took it down.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
@twj2944: is is against forum rules to post worked solutions to homework problems.
If you are in the same class - I guess we can let you off.

hey123a said:
What do you mean by i forgot the 1000m part, and what was wrong with my initial calculations
You didn't use some of the information supplied to you - often a clue that you missed something.

Okay so,
y = Vot + 1/2gt^2
0 = 1/2gt^2 + Vot - y
0 = 4.9t^2 + 14t - 10
Well it does not have to reach that height, it has to pass through the height.
It just has to skim the top of the wall...
It can do that in three ways:
(a) just as it reaches it's maximum height - which seems to be what you keep doing.
... but the maximum height may be higher than the wall, in which case it can also do it:
(b) on it's way up to it's maximum height
(c) on it's way down from it's maximum height

So what you want is the par of equations that tell you the time T that it reaches a particular x and y position. This will give you two unknowns - T and v.

You know an expression for y(t) and x(t) right?
Then, let the time to reach the wall be t=T - leave T an unknown.
x(T)=1000m = d
y(T)10m = h

write out the two expressions in terms of T.

Solve the simultaneous equations.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
hey123a said:
Okay so,
y = Vot + 1/2gt^2
0 = 1/2gt^2 + Vot - y
0 = 4.9t^2 + 14t - 10

So now I calculate horizontal velocity necessary to travel 1000m during the same time
Vox = d/t
Vox = 1000m/0.688s
Vox = 1453.488m/s

However I still don't end up with the right answer when I use the pythagorus to solve for the velocity :(
I think you misunderstood what I said. This was just to convince yourself that your proposed solution does not satisfy the given data. And you did, I hope.

To find the correct solution just follow what was already suggested by Simon and twj.

Likes 1 person

1. What is initial velocity in projectile motion?

Initial velocity in projectile motion refers to the velocity at which an object is launched or thrown at an angle. It is the starting velocity of the object and is essential in calculating the trajectory and motion of the object.

2. How do you calculate initial velocity given distance, height, and angle?

To calculate initial velocity in projectile motion, you can use the following formula: v0 = √(g * h / sin(2θ)), where v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height, and θ is the angle of launch. You can also use trigonometric functions to calculate the x and y components of the initial velocity separately.

3. Can initial velocity be negative?

Yes, initial velocity can be negative in projectile motion. A negative initial velocity indicates that the object is launched in the opposite direction of the positive y-axis. This can happen when the object is thrown downwards or when the angle of launch is greater than 90 degrees.

4. How does changing the angle of launch affect the initial velocity?

Changing the angle of launch can greatly affect the initial velocity in projectile motion. The initial velocity will be at its maximum when the angle of launch is 45 degrees, and it will decrease as the angle increases or decreases. For example, a higher angle of launch will result in a lower initial velocity, while a lower angle of launch will result in a higher initial velocity.

5. Is initial velocity the same as average velocity?

No, initial velocity is not the same as average velocity in projectile motion. Initial velocity refers to the velocity at the starting point of the object, while average velocity refers to the average of all the velocities at different points in the object's motion. Average velocity takes into account the direction and magnitude of the velocity, while initial velocity only considers the starting velocity.