Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inner Product of 0 vector, & Complex numbers

1. Jun 5, 2009 #1
    Hello,

Can someone help me understand why the Inner Product of a Null vector with itself can be non zero if complex numbers are involved?

And why using the complex conjugate resolved this?

I may have understood this wrong. It could be that an Inner Product of any non-Null vector with itself can be zero if complex numbers are involved. Either way does someone have an example?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2009 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It cannot. The inner product of the null vector with itself is zero, and the inner product of a non-null vector cannot be zero. Both these facts follow from the following axiom for inner products:
    [tex] \langle v|v \rangle \geq 0 [/tex], and [tex]\langle v|v \rangle = 0[/tex] if and only if [tex]v = |0\rangle [/tex]​

4. Jun 5, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The inner product on a vector space over the complex numbers must satisfy
    [tex]<u, v>= \overline{<v, u>}[/tex] and, in particular, [itex]<u, av>= \overline{a}<u, v>[/itex] for any scalar a.

For C2, ordered pairs of complex numbers, the inner product [itex]<(a+ bi),(a+ bi)> = (a+ bi)\overline(a+ bi)= (a+bi)(a-bi)= a^2+ b^2[/itex] which is 0 only if a= b= 0.

If you mistakenly use the inner product for real numbers, that is, without the "complex conjugation" you could have [itex]<a+ bi, a+ bi>= a^- b^2[/itex] which can be 0. But, as I said, that is a mistake.

5. Jun 5, 2009 #4
    Ahha! Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook