Inquiring about Computer HW Specifications for Time-Intensive Calculations

In summary, the research group is seeking advice on the hardware specifications needed for computational quantum chemistry research. While the number of processors, memory, and hard disk are important considerations, there may be other factors to consider. It is recommended to consult with the software developer or do systems analysis if writing new software. Additionally, using graphics cards for calculations may greatly reduce the number of computers needed, but it is not always a reliable solution without further understanding of the specific code.
sams
Gold Member
Dear Everyone,

We are a research group doing research in computational sciences. We are considering ordering new computers for our research. I was wondering if anyone could advise us regarding the hardware specifications needed to run heavy and time-expensive programs, specifically in computational quantum chemistry research. Although it is well-known to consider the number of processors, the memory (RAM), the Hard Disk (capacity of data storage), etc. But is there a more specific way I can calculate the running jobs in terms of the needed computer hardware? Are there other things I should also be considering? Would recommend any book that would be helpful regarding this matter?

I really appreciate your shared experience.
Thank you so much for your help and for your responses

Computer science news on Phys.org
If the software you will be running already exists, you need to talk to the software developer.
If it is software that you will be writing, you need to do some systems analysis.
These types of applications (chemistry) often use dedicated cores.

Likes sams
Thank you Sir for your help and advice...

DrZoidberg said:
You can greatly reduce the number of computers needed by doing the calculations on the graphics card.

You have said this several times in different threads. Have you ever actually done this? I have, and my experience is that sometimes it helps - a lot - and sometimes it doesn't - a lot. I have seen GPU-ized code run 10x faster and I have seen it run 10x slower. I would never suggest to someone that a GPU is the right direction without knowing a lot more about their code than one would get from a paragraph or two.

1. What are the key hardware specifications needed for time-intensive calculations?

The key hardware specifications needed for time-intensive calculations include a powerful processor, large amounts of RAM, a dedicated graphics card, and a fast storage drive. These components work together to ensure fast and efficient processing of complex calculations.

2. How much RAM is necessary for time-intensive calculations?

This largely depends on the specific calculations being performed, but as a general rule of thumb, at least 16GB of RAM is recommended for time-intensive calculations. This allows for the processing of large data sets and complex algorithms without slowing down the system.

3. Is a dedicated graphics card necessary for time-intensive calculations?

In some cases, a dedicated graphics card can greatly improve the speed and efficiency of time-intensive calculations, especially for tasks that involve heavy graphical processing. However, for certain types of calculations, a powerful CPU may be more important.

4. What type of processor is best for time-intensive calculations?

The best type of processor for time-intensive calculations is a multi-core CPU with a high clock speed. This allows for parallel processing of multiple tasks, as well as fast execution of individual calculations. Intel Core i7 or i9 processors are often recommended for this type of work.

5. Are there any specific software requirements for time-intensive calculations?

Yes, the software used to perform the calculations must be optimized for the specific hardware being used. This means that the software must be able to take advantage of multi-core processors, utilize the GPU, and efficiently manage memory. It is important to choose software that is specifically designed for time-intensive calculations to ensure the best results.