Inserting limits into an integrated term (Quick question)

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the momentum for a charged particle going through matter. The derivation is understood but there is a step that is not clear. It is stated that when the -infinity term is squared, it becomes positive and the sum equals zero. However, it is corrected that when factoring out the x^2 term, it becomes |x| and the value at +infinity and -infinity is 1 and -1 respectively. The conversation ends with a suggestion to remember the correct value instead of memorizing a specific formula.
rwooduk

Homework Statement

Derive the momentum for a charged particle going through matter.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the derivation but there's one step I am not clear about, and I'm probably being really stupid but this:

2ZKeRvI.jpg

if the -infinity term is squared then doesn't it become positive and the sum equal zero?

Thanks for any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
rwooduk said:

Homework Statement

Derive the momentum for a charged particle going through matter.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the derivation but there's one step I am not clear about, and I'm probably being really stupid but this:

2ZKeRvI.jpg

if the -infinity term is squared then doesn't it become positive and the sum equal zero?

Thanks for any advice.

Yes, you are correct and that's a really sloppy derivation. What really happens is that when you factor the x^2 out of the square root you get |x|. And x/|x| is 1 at +infinity and -1 at -infinity. Does that help?

Last edited:
Likes rwooduk and SammyS
Dick said:
Yes, you are correct and that's a really sloppy derivation. What really happens is that when you factor the x^2 out of the square root you get |x|. And x/|x| is 1 at +infinity and -1 at -infinity. Does that help?

Thanks for the reply, It's hard to visualise what you mean, is there any chance you could Latex it? If not, it's fine, I'll just remember that it goes to (2/b^2) and not zero.

thanks again!

rwooduk said:
Thanks for the reply, It's hard to visualise what you mean, is there any chance you could Latex it? If not, it's fine, I'll just remember that it goes to (2/b^2) and not zero.

thanks again!

What would be the point of memorizing that something like that? ##\sqrt{x^2+b^2}=|x| \sqrt{1+\frac{b^2}{x^2}}##. Notice the factor in front is not ##x##, it's ##|x|##!

Likes rwooduk
Dick said:
What would be the point of memorizing that something like that? ##\sqrt{x^2+b^2}=|x| \sqrt{1+\frac{b^2}{x^2}}##. Notice the factor in front is not ##x##, it's ##|x|##!

Ahh, i see now, yes that makes sense! Thanks very much for this!

1. What is the purpose of inserting limits into an integrated term?

The purpose of inserting limits into an integrated term is to define the boundaries within which the integral is being evaluated. It allows us to specify the starting and ending points of the integration, which can change the result of the integral.

2. How do I insert limits into an integrated term?

To insert limits into an integrated term, you need to write the lower limit and upper limit of the integration as subscripts under the integral sign. For example, the integral from a to b would be written as ∫ab f(x) dx.

3. Can I insert limits into any type of integral?

Yes, you can insert limits into both definite and indefinite integrals. In definite integrals, the limits are necessary to evaluate the integral, while in indefinite integrals, the limits can be used to find the constant of integration.

4. What happens if I don't insert limits into an integrated term?

If you don't insert limits into an integrated term, it is considered an indefinite integral and will have a constant of integration in the solution. This means that the result will not be a specific number, but rather a function with an unknown constant.

5. Do the limits change the value of the integral?

Yes, the limits can change the value of the integral. When integrating over a larger interval, the result will generally be a larger number compared to integrating over a smaller interval. Additionally, the limits can also affect the type of solution you get, such as a number or a function.