1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove an infinite sum exists and its sum

1. Feb 18, 2016 #1

B3NR4Y

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let {b k } be a sequence of positive numbers. Assume that there exists a sequence {a k}, such that a k is greater than or equal to 0 for all k, a_k is decreasing, the limit of a_k is 0 and b_k = a_k - a _(k+1). Show that the sum from k=1 to infinity of b k exists and equals a_1

2. Relevant equations
    Not really any I can think of

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure how to prove this. The sum of b_k has two parts that both go to zero, but I can think of an a_k that satisfies all those properties but doesn't converge (1/k), but if you write out the sum you can clearly see all the terms cancel except the a_1 term.

For example:

Sum of b_k = (a1 - a 2 ) + (a_2-a_3)+(a_3-a_4)+.....

Which clearly cancels all the terms except a_1. But this doesn't seem rigoruous enough.

(Also sorry for inconsistent subscripts, I'm on my phone)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2016 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

I would start by doing just what you did. Compute the partial sum,
    ##\sum_{i=1}^{N-1} b_k##
    Then show that in the limit as N goes to infinity, you get what you expect.

4. Feb 18, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't forget that the infinite sum ##\sum_{i=1}^{\infty} b_i ## is defined as the limit ##\lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{i=1}^n b_i##. That is, the infinite sum exists if and only if the limit of finite sums exist.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted