Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Instagram may sell photos for advertising

1. Dec 18, 2012 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Instagram can now sell your photos for ads (cnn.com)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2012 #2
    I have used instagram for a brief period. It may not be easy for long time users, but, IMO if you don't agree with the terms of use, get out.

4. Dec 18, 2012 #3

gneill

So, "All your face are belong to us!"

5. Dec 19, 2012 #4

cobalt124

Gold Member

They seem to be backpeddling:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20777616

Having never had a Facebook account I don't know much about it, but family members do so I've been concerned about it and IMO if I had an Instagram account I'd delete it before Jan 16, don't trust them if they cannot even clearly state their intentions.

6. Dec 19, 2012 #5
    lol wow, there really is nothing confusing about the intentions of

"You hereby grant to Instagram a non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide license to use the content that you post on or through the service."

or

"a business or other entity may pay us to display your username, likeness, photos, and/or actions you take, in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you."

shameful

7. Dec 21, 2012 #6
  8. Dec 21, 2012 #7

jedishrfu

There was a recent case where a family's holiday picture became a large sign in Prague advertising a grocery store and was noticed by one of their friends visiting the city.

The store had gotten the picture from the web. It was high enough resolution for the them to blow up it really big and display it on their billboard.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8094420.stm

The moral of the story is not to post pictures to the web and if you do use a reduced resolution and make sure you brush your teeth if you're smiling.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook