Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Latex not downloading update packages

1. Jul 5, 2017 #1
    Hello everyone.

I'm using Miktex, which is supposed to automatically download packages, and WinShell as a front end, both are latest versions.

For some reason packages are not downloading. First the wrapfig.sty file didn't download, so I did it manually by downloading it into the .tex file I'm working on.

Then it said it can't download caption.sty in the caption package. I checked, this package doesn't have a .sty file.

Specifically, I get the error:
    Book.tex(1): Error: LaTeX Error: File `caption.sty' not found.

Can anyone help please?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2017 #2
    It could be something with your front end package. Maybe try using a different gui like texstudio. If the problem persist, then something is misconfigured in Miktex and you should try reinstalling it.

4. Jul 5, 2017 #3
    I'm getting a different bunch of errors with Texstudio. Plus I re-installed Miktex just before posting this thread.

Unfortunately, the package mptopdf could not be installed.Please check the log file: C:/.../AppData/Local/MiKTeX/2.9/miktex/log/pdflatex.log
    Error: Command crashed: pdflatex.exe -synctex=1 -interaction=nonstopmode "Book".tex
    Process exited with error(s)

Urgh, Latex is killing me!

5. Jul 5, 2017 #4
    Check your default compiler setting in your front end, likely under options/configurations. Make sure the default compiler is set to PdfLaTeX.

6. Jul 5, 2017 #5
    Now everything has stopped working altogether. In Winshell you choose the compiler. Nothing's working. I try to compile a pdf file and nothing happens. I give up! Thanks anyway NFuller.

7. Jul 5, 2017 #6
    Got Latex working again, but the caption package not working like it should! Nevermind, it's not serious.

8. Jul 5, 2017 #7
    if you use MikTex then go to Package manager and search for caption and then install it.

9. Jul 6, 2017 #8
    Hallelujah Brother! It actually seems to work!

I can't thank you enough Payam! I'm so glad to get over these Latex gremlins :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted