Installing a PA System in a Training Car

In summary: Not with a horn speaker. Horns are amazingly efficent, trust me 30-40W will be plenty. Just for reference, one of those bullhorns they use in sports etc. are only around 10-15 watts and they will make you go def.I SERIOUSLY doubt any CB ever put out more than 3 to 4 watts on PA mode.
marinpa
Hello,

Can someone tell me if my idea is workable or not.
I need to install a PA system in one of my training cars. Just the PA. No sirens, horns or whistles.

My idea is to use a simple setup: mic- car amplifier - speaker (100W)

The question is, can any mono car amplifier be used for this project?

I am thinking of this one in particular
http://www.fixya.com/recommendations/p75473-jbl_bp150_1_car_audio_amplifier

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You can use a car amplifier, but you would need a pre-amp to bring your mic output to line level for the amplifier to use. Also, the Amp you have in your link won't work at all, its a subwoofer amp, you need a full range amp. If you look at a few CB radios, most of them have a PA function built in, it would probably be cheaper. Also, in case you didn't know in most places its illegal to use a PA system on the street.

famousken said:
You can use a car amplifier, but you would need a pre-amp to bring your mic output to line level for the amplifier to use. Also, the Amp you have in your link won't work at all, its a subwoofer amp, you need a full range amp. If you look at a few CB radios, most of them have a PA function built in, it would probably be cheaper. Also, in case you didn't know in most places its illegal to use a PA system on the street.

Thank you for your answer. I will keep in mind your advice.
As for the the PA system, is not to be used on public road but closed driving course.

Old CB radios often had a PA output, I bet you could buy one on eBay for next to nothing, the speaker output is 8 ohms so you can go right to a PA speaker

fizz_it said:
Old CB radios often had a PA output, I bet you could buy one on eBay for next to nothing, the speaker output is 8 ohms so you can go right to a PA speaker

The CBs don't put out more than 30-40W to the speaker. We need 150-200W

marinpa said:
The CBs don't put out more than 30-40W to the speaker. We need 150-200W
Not with a horn speaker. Horns are amazingly efficent, trust me 30-40W will be plenty. Just for reference, one of those bullhorns they use in sports etc. are only around 10-15 watts and they will make you go def.

I SERIOUSLY doubt any CB ever put out more than 3 to 4 watts on PA mode. 30 to 40 is unlikely.

1. What is a PA system?

A PA system, also known as a public address system, is a set of equipment used to amplify and distribute sound to a large or distant audience. It typically consists of a microphone, amplifier, and speakers.

2. Why would a training car need a PA system?

A training car may need a PA system in order to effectively communicate with a large group of trainees, especially in a noisy or busy environment. It can also be used to make important announcements or give instructions to the trainees during their training sessions.

3. How do I choose the right PA system for a training car?

When choosing a PA system for a training car, it is important to consider the size of the car and the number of trainees it can accommodate. You should also consider the power and range of the system, as well as any additional features such as wireless connectivity or multiple microphone inputs.

4. How do I install a PA system in a training car?

The installation process for a PA system in a training car will vary depending on the specific system and car. However, it typically involves mounting the speakers and amplifier, running wiring for the system, and connecting the microphone and other components. It is recommended to consult with a professional for proper installation.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when installing a PA system in a training car?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when installing a PA system in a training car. It is important to make sure all wiring is properly secured and insulated to prevent any electrical hazards. It is also important to follow proper installation instructions and not overload the system with too many speakers or microphones.