Installing SQL Server Dev Config Manager (Snap in)

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of not being able to access the SQL Server Configuration Manager due to an error message about not having permission or the server being unreachable. The suggested workaround involves going to the command line and entering a specific code, but there is confusion over which number to use in the code. The conversation also mentions possibly needing to filter within Profiler.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
It seems SQL Server's Dev 2017 config manager does not come " built in" within , and it is now a snap in. When I try to install it through Control Panel, I get the error message: Cannot connect to WMI provider. You do not have permission or the server is unreachable.
upload_2019-3-14_13-44-59.png

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...en-sql-server-configuration-manager-in-sql-se

Suggests as a work around to go to the command line and enter:
mofcomp "%programfiles(x86)%\Microsoft SQL Server\number\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof" (**)

Where number is in the list given. BUT no numbers are assigned for versions after 2012. In my Microsoft SQL Server folder I have subfolders numbered 80,90, 110, 120, 140.

upload_2019-3-14_13-55-16.png

It would seem I should use 140 as a number in (**) above.
Is this correct?

In the page linked above, it says that the problem comes from having a 32-bit instance and another 64-bit instance, but both my instances are 64-bit.
Thanks.

EDIT: While we're at it, if someone knows how to filter within Profiler, I would appreciate any advice on how to do it.

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-14_13-44-59.png
    upload_2019-3-14_13-44-59.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 554
  • upload_2019-3-14_13-55-16.png
    upload_2019-3-14_13-55-16.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Never mind, thanks, I found a folder containing the needed file --it was 140-- and made the change, needed to compile a n .mof. Still, it did not work out, so I will uninstall and reinstall.

1. What is SQL Server Dev Config Manager (Snap in)?

SQL Server Dev Config Manager (Snap in) is a tool used to manage server configuration settings for SQL Server on a local or remote computer. It allows users to view and modify server settings, such as memory allocation and network protocols, without having to directly access the server.

2. How do I install SQL Server Dev Config Manager (Snap in)?

To install SQL Server Dev Config Manager (Snap in), you can either use the SQL Server Installation Center or download it separately from the Microsoft website. Once downloaded, run the installation file and follow the prompts to complete the installation process.

3. Can I use SQL Server Dev Config Manager (Snap in) on a remote server?

Yes, SQL Server Dev Config Manager (Snap in) can be used on a remote server as long as you have the necessary permissions and access to the server. You can connect to a remote server by selecting the "Connect to Server" option and entering the server name or IP address.

4. Is there a limit to the number of servers I can manage with SQL Server Dev Config Manager (Snap in)?

No, there is no limit to the number of servers you can manage with SQL Server Dev Config Manager (Snap in). You can add as many servers as needed and easily switch between them to view and modify their configuration settings.

5. Can I undo any changes made using SQL Server Dev Config Manager (Snap in)?

Yes, SQL Server Dev Config Manager (Snap in) allows you to undo any changes made to server configuration settings. Simply go to the "Edit" menu and select "Undo" or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Z to revert the changes.