Instant Sober-Up: Is a Quick Drug Possible?

• Thread starter brewnog
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of developing a quick sober-up drug to counter the effects of alcohol. Some individuals suggest using over-the-counter supplements or drinking olive or vegetable oil to slow down alcohol absorption. However, it is mentioned that these methods may not be effective in preventing intoxication and the unpleasant side effects of alcohol. Ultimately, there is no known drug or agent available that can completely eliminate the effects of alcohol.
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So, what actually happens when we get drunk?

Should I hold out any hope? I want someone to develop a quick sober-up drug, such that I can go out drinking, then take this tablet with a glass or two of water, wait 20 minutes, and then be safe to drive? Is this just impossible because of the workings of the human body, or is it just a case of pharmeceutical knowhow?

Apologies if it's a stupid question, my Biology knowledge pretty much ends at GCSE.

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't know of any drugs or agents which can be used to avoid experiencing the effects of alcohol. It's a fairly complicated process of CNS depression and loss of motor control, etc. There are drugs available that supposedly can reduce or eliminate the after-effects of alcohol, i.e. the hangover. If you do a web search for RU-21 or other such drugs you can find them as OTC supplements. I have no experience with these, but apparently they work for some people.

Crank - except it won't take 20 minutes - it will only take about 20 seconds.

Nautica

if you can believe movies(A Beautiful Mind), not enough water for your kreb cycles
A Beautiful Mind said:
[hearing John's classical music on the record player] Oh God, no. [turns it off] Did you know that having a hangover is not having enough water in your body to run your kreb cycles? [sits down, pulls off shoes] Which is exactly what happens to you when you're dying of thirst. [pulls off shirt] So... dying of thirst would probably feel pretty much like the hangover that finally bloody kills you. [smiles, approaches John, offers hand to shake] John Nash?
not sure what you can do for that. as for intoxication itself, any product that claims to keep you from getting drunk (that works) probably just soaks up the alcohol.

yeah. I've never tried this but my uncle says it works. You just drink about a half a cup of olive/vegetable oil... I think its olive, that coats the inside of your stomach. I makes it so that the alchol isn't absorbed as quickly into the blood stream, thus enabling you to have a clear head. I don't know if it works for the hangover but you might be able to drive.

Mr. dude said:
yeah. I've never tried this but my uncle says it works. You just drink about a half a cup of olive/vegetable oil... I think its olive, that coats the inside of your stomach. I makes it so that the alchol isn't absorbed as quickly into the blood stream, thus enabling you to have a clear head. I don't know if it works for the hangover but you might be able to drive.

Urrrm... :uhh:

brewnog said:
Urrrm... :uhh:

good urmm or bad urrrmm? I know, it must taste a lot like this. :yuck: or :cry: or :eek:. Anyways, yeah its got to be gross.

Mr. dude said:
good urmm or bad urrrmm? I know, it must taste a lot like this. :yuck: or :cry: or :eek:. Anyways, yeah its got to be gross.
Bad urmm. Even if the oil slowed absorption of the alcohol somewhat, it's not going to prevent it entirely, and how quickly it happens is going to depend a lot on how much you drink and how quickly and it's not going to do anything to stop the effects of the alcohol that is absorbed. It sure as heck isn't going to make you safe to drink and drive. I also would imagine that drinking a cup of oil would have quite an unpleasant effect on the lower GI tract! :yuck: Perhaps it would be the need to rush off to the bathroom every 5 min that prevents you from over-imbibing in the first place. :bugeye:

HA HA HA! ROGL! O man. I think you got it there.

Run your blood through a charcoal filter. :eek:

1. Can instant sober-up really work?

While there are products on the market claiming to provide instant sober-up effects, there is currently no scientific evidence to support their effectiveness. Sobering up from drugs or alcohol is a complex process that involves the body metabolizing and eliminating these substances, which cannot happen instantly.

2. What ingredients or methods are used in instant sober-up products?

Some products may contain stimulants or other substances that can give the illusion of increased alertness or sobriety, but they do not actually speed up the body's natural ability to process drugs or alcohol. Other methods, such as drinking coffee or taking a cold shower, may provide temporary alertness but will not have any impact on sobering up.

3. Are there any potential risks or side effects associated with instant sober-up products?

Since there is no scientific evidence to support their effectiveness, there may be potential risks or side effects associated with using instant sober-up products. Some may contain ingredients that could interact with medications or cause adverse reactions, while others may simply delay the body's natural sobering up process.

4. Can instant sober-up products help pass a drug test?

No, instant sober-up products cannot help someone pass a drug test. These tests are designed to detect the presence of drugs in the body, and using products claiming to provide instant sober-up effects will not change the results of the test.

5. Is there any way to speed up the sobering up process?

The only way to speed up the sobering up process is to give your body time to metabolize and eliminate the drugs or alcohol. Drinking water, eating a healthy meal, and getting some rest can help support your body's natural detoxification process, but there is no way to instantly sober up.