Possible to Sober Up (w/o signs of influence) In 50 Min.?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
In summary, if a person has digested enough alcohol to be impaired, it would not be possible for them to sober up within 50 minutes using any "enhancement" mechanisms at their disposal.
kyphysics
If a person has digested enough alcohol to be impaired, would it be possible for them to sober up (using whatever "enhancement" mechanisms at their disposal - e.g., drinking lots of water, eating food, etc.) and not show signs of having been impaired anymore within 50 minutes?

Specifically, if a person was driving while intoxicated and hit a car, but had 50 minutes of time to do whatever they wanted without anyone knowing, would that person biologically be able to sober up to the point where their previous state of intoxication would not be noticeable?

I ask for both the pure academic reasons of curiosity and because it relates to something suspicious that happened to me recently. Trying to figure out if someone may be lying!

Biology news on Phys.org
kyphysics said:
If a person has digested enough alcohol to be impaired, would it be possible for them to sober up (using whatever "enhancement" mechanisms at their disposal - e.g., drinking lots of water, eating food, etc.) and not show signs of having been impaired anymore within 50 minutes?
Nope.

Likes russ_watters
What do you mean by "any signs" and "noticeable"? I've seen people appear sober when I know they have consumed quite a lot. The limits for driving are pretty low. You can appear sober but still be well over the safe limit and impaired for driving. Its why many countries use breath alcohol meters these days.

CWatters said:
What do you mean by "any signs" and "noticeable"? I've seen people appear sober when I know they have consumed quite a lot. The limits for driving are pretty low. You can appear sober but still be well over the safe limit and impaired for driving. Its why many countries use breath alcohol meters these days.

As in, if a cop were to speak to you, they'd not suspect you were intoxicated (presently or previously...say within the last 50 minutes to 1 full hour). Long story, but basically, someone hit our parked car and self-reported to police (but not immediately - the gap is what was suspicious). Police wrote it up as accident. No criminal actions. But, some details didn't add up (or, at least, were kind of weird - but maybe still possible) with how the driver described things + how our damaged car looked + what others told us (who actually saw it).

When you say the limits are "pretty low," you mean the legal limit to drive with blood alcohol content? It's .08, right? And something like .04 for commercial truck drivers? I think that's just two beers for a woman of 130 lbs or so? Three beers for a man of 130 lbs?

For me, I can't hold alcohol at all! More than a single beer and I'm already not feeling right. My body is wimpy like that. But, most guys are more tolerant.

The main thing was, could a person "get away" with a drunk driving accident, by buying themselves 50 minutes of time to try to sober up before calling the cops? People always say to drink a lot of coffee or water to sober up quickly. Other say take a cold shower or eat lots of food, etc. As a math/biology problem, I guess I'm wondering if you do all these things to speed up the sobering up process, can you do it within 50 minutes?

No. If BAC (blood alcohol level) is up your liver removes the alcohol by changing to other compounds. One is acetaldehyde - which is the cause of hangover.

The breakdown takes about 5.5 hours if the level (US) starts at 0.08 g/Dl, the legal limit. As you age this takes process happens more slowly.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3062940:
The metabolism of ethanol to acetaldehyde in the liver proceeds via alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) and the microsomal ethanol-oxidizing system (MOS), whereas catalase plays no significant role. ADH is an enzyme of the cytosol, requires NAD+ as cofactor and exhibits a pH optimum in the alkaline range. The Km of ADH is about 2 mM for ethanol (equivalent to 0.1%). Thus, the enzyme is already saturated at low ethanol concentrations. Conversely, MEOS resides in the endoplasmic reticulum, requires NADPH and O2, is inhibited by CO and exhibits a km of about 10 mM corresponding to 0.5% ethanol. This enzyme system is therefore primarily the pathway of ethanol metabolism at intermediate to high ethanol concentrations. MEOS has many properties in common with other drug metabolizing enzymes and is characterized by inducibility following chronic ethanol consumption, which suggests the involvement of the microsomal system in the adaptive enhancement of ethanol clearance commonly observed in alcoholics. The product of ethanol oxidation by ADH, MEOS and catalase is acetaldehyde. Acetaldehyde is oxidized in the liver to acetate by NAD dependent aldehyde dehydrogenase. Four isozymes have been identified. Lack of isozyme I is responsible for the "flush-syndrome" commonly observed in Asian [patients] following alcohol intake. Ethanol metabolism is affected by the aging process and is decreased with advancing age.
https://americanaddictioncenters.org/alcoholism-treatment/how-long-in-system/
On average the liver can metabolize 1 ounce of alcohol every hour. ... blood level of 0.05, the legal limit for driving, takes 5.5 hours to leave the system.

Likes kyphysics
We seem to veering off target, please stay with Biology. Thank you.

I removed several posts which dealt with real life accidents or incidents and answers to them.
We do not discuss potentially legal issues here for many, which I find, obvious reasons.
You may discuss biology, however, "IIRC, hooking up to a dialysis-style activated carbon stack *could* decontaminate your system enough to scrape by" is neither biology nor science at all, only a wild guess which sounds wrong given the 50 minutes time window in the title.

Side question: there seems to be some kind of wide agreement that a sudden rush of adrenaline would somehow improve mobility in case somebody is drunk, but would not affect anything else (the subject is still drunk, but can move - is that even an improvement?).

This feels right, but given the popularity of the whole 'drunk and fast sober up' topic on google anything scientific is buried under a ton of ... fertilizer.
Anybody please have anything relevant about this issue?

Last edited:

What are the signs of being under the influence of alcohol?

The signs of being under the influence of alcohol can vary depending on the individual, but some common signs include impaired coordination and balance, slurred speech, slowed reaction time, and altered behavior or judgement.

Is it possible to sober up in 50 minutes?

It is unlikely that someone can completely sober up in just 50 minutes. The liver processes alcohol at a rate of about one standard drink per hour, so it would take several hours for the body to fully metabolize the alcohol and for the person to no longer feel the effects of being under the influence.

What factors can affect the rate at which someone sobers up?

The rate at which someone sobers up can be affected by various factors such as their body weight, gender, and metabolism, as well as the amount and type of alcohol consumed. Food intake and hydration can also play a role in how quickly someone metabolizes alcohol.

Can drinking water or coffee speed up the sobering up process?

Drinking water or coffee may help someone feel more alert or hydrated, but they will not speed up the process of metabolizing alcohol. Only time can fully sober up someone who has been drinking.

Are there any methods that can quickly eliminate the effects of alcohol?

No, there are no proven methods that can quickly eliminate the effects of alcohol. The only way for someone to sober up is to give their body time to metabolize the alcohol. Trying to speed up the process by taking a cold shower, exercising, or drinking coffee can actually be dangerous and increase the risk of alcohol poisoning.