Instantaneous Acceleration on a Velocity-Time Graph

In summary, the key to finding instantaneous acceleration on a velocity-time graph is to remember that the tangent of the graph represents the acceleration at a specific time. This applies to both straight and curved lines on the graph. For a straight line, the acceleration is constant for all points on the interval, while for a curved line, the tangent can be drawn at the required time to find the acceleration.
Linday12
[SOLVED] Instantaneous Acceleration on a Velocity-Time Graph

I need to find the acceleration at a specific time (for example, 6s). I know how to do the acceleration between time intervals, slope=rise/run, a=vf-vi/t2-t1, but what do I do when I need the acceleration at a specific time?

I've tried to do a=v/t, but it seems like there's something I'm missing. Like for instance, what do you do for a straight line, obviously the acceleration is 0, but this method gives a different acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
The tangent of a velocity-time graph represents instantaneous acceleration.

Ok, The velocity-time graph in this case is simpler, and is a series of straight lines (not curved). So, I wouldn't have to draw the tangent, would I? Do I have to pick another point on the line and use it? How would this give the acceleration for the given point, and not for a time interval? (Say I need the acceler. for 6s, wouldn't taking the data for 6s-5s be giving a time interval instead of the acceleration for 6s?)

Sorry, not entirely sure I'm making sense. Any help is greatly appreciated!

For a straight curve on a V-t graph, it doesn't matter which point you pick or if you pick an interval because the acceleration is constant for all points on that interval. Remember, the acceleration is the derivative of velocity with respect to time, so if you have a linear relationship between velocity and time, you'll have a constant acceleration.

Thank you. That was exactly what I was lost on!

1. What is instantaneous acceleration on a velocity-time graph?

Instantaneous acceleration on a velocity-time graph is the rate at which an object's velocity changes at a specific moment in time. It is represented by the slope of the tangent line at a given point on the graph.

2. How is instantaneous acceleration calculated on a velocity-time graph?

To calculate instantaneous acceleration on a velocity-time graph, you can use the formula a = (Δv / Δt), where Δv is the change in velocity and Δt is the change in time. Alternatively, you can also find the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the graph using the rise over run method.

3. What does the slope of the tangent line represent on a velocity-time graph?

The slope of the tangent line on a velocity-time graph represents the instantaneous acceleration of an object at that specific point in time. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration, and vice versa.

4. How can you determine if an object is accelerating or decelerating on a velocity-time graph?

If the slope of the tangent line on a velocity-time graph is positive, the object is accelerating. If the slope is negative, the object is decelerating. A straight horizontal line indicates that the object is maintaining a constant velocity.

5. Can an object have different instantaneous accelerations at different points on a velocity-time graph?

Yes, an object can have different instantaneous accelerations at different points on a velocity-time graph. This is because the object's velocity may be changing at a different rate at each point in time. The slope of the tangent line at each point will represent the instantaneous acceleration at that specific moment.