Velocity-time graph from distance-time table

In summary, the data in part d) is not clear. The question is asking about the distance in each period of four seconds, and whether it's displacement or distance. The data is not clear, so I would stick with what you have. One way to check is to do a step function or bar graph showing the average velocity for each period of 4 seconds.
Sh4dman
Homework Statement
A distance-time graph has been given, and I'm required to draw the v-t graph (question has been added with attempt at solution as a picture. It's question d of no.2.) I've added my answer but I don't know if it's correct or not.
Relevant Equations
s = vt
s = (u + v)t/2
Question:
IMG_20230515_101407.jpg

Answer:
IMG_20230515_101220.jpg
IMG_20230515_101230.jpg
IMG_20230515_101309.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Part d) is not clear to me. When it says distance, does it mean displacement? Does it assume constant acceleration in each phase of 4 seconds? Why would a motorcycle only change speed every four seconds? Is the starting speed zero or 2m/s? You can't tell even that from the data given.

Are these distances in each period of four seconds? Distance can never be negative, so that would make more sense.

Likes MatinSAR
PeroK said:
Part d) is not clear to me. When it says distance, does it mean displacement? Does it assume constant acceleration in each phase of 4 seconds? Why would a motorcycle only change speed every four seconds? Is the starting speed zero or 2m/s? You can't tell even that from the data given.

Are these distances in each period of four seconds? Distance can never be negative, so that would make more sense.
I think by distance, the question probably means the total displacement from an initial point. Could be a translation error as english version questions are generally translated from our other language.
As for the question related to the initial speed, should I have started the graph from t = 4s?

Sh4dman said:
I think by distance, the question probably means the total displacement from an initial point. Could be a translation error as english version questions are generally translated from our other language.
As for the question related to the initial speed, should I have started the graph from t = 4s?
I'd stick with what you have. One way to check is to do a step function or bar graph showing the average velocity for each period of 4 seconds. Your graph should bisect the bar graph at the midpoint of each bar. If that makes sense.

PeroK said:
I'd stick with what you have. One way to check is to do a step function or bar graph showing the average velocity for each period of 4 seconds. Your graph should bisect the bar graph at the midpoint of each bar. If that makes sense.
By midpoint of the bars, do you mean like the exact center of the bars?

Sh4dman said:
By midpoint of the bars, do you mean like the exact center of the bars?
Yes. That's another way to do the problem. Start with the "frequency polygon" and draw the velocity from that.

Although, I'd say: draw a graph of average velocity first and use that to draw the velocity graph.

PeroK said:
Yes. That's another way to do the problem. Start with the "frequency polygon" and draw the velocity from that.

Although, I'd say: draw a graph of average velocity first and use that to draw the velocity graph.
IMG_20230515_145717.jpg

Is this what you meant by the graphs bisecting?

Likes PeroK

1. What is a velocity-time graph?

A velocity-time graph is a graphical representation of an object's velocity over a period of time. It shows how an object's velocity changes over time, with time being represented on the x-axis and velocity on the y-axis.

2. How is a velocity-time graph created from a distance-time table?

To create a velocity-time graph from a distance-time table, you must first calculate the average velocity for each time interval. This can be done by dividing the change in distance by the change in time. Then, plot the average velocity values on the y-axis against the corresponding time intervals on the x-axis.

3. What does the slope of a velocity-time graph represent?

The slope of a velocity-time graph represents the object's acceleration. A steeper slope indicates a higher acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a lower acceleration. A horizontal line on the graph represents constant velocity, and a horizontal line with a negative slope represents deceleration.

4. How can you determine the distance traveled from a velocity-time graph?

To determine the distance traveled from a velocity-time graph, you can calculate the area under the graph. This can be done by dividing the graph into smaller shapes, such as rectangles or triangles, and then calculating the area of each shape. Finally, add up all the areas to find the total distance traveled.

5. Can a velocity-time graph be used to predict an object's future motion?

Yes, a velocity-time graph can be used to predict an object's future motion. By analyzing the shape of the graph and the trend of the data, you can make predictions about how an object will continue to move in the future. However, this prediction is only accurate if the object continues to move at a constant velocity or acceleration.