Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Instantaneous centre of lock jaw pliers (4 bar link) please help

1. Oct 19, 2014 #1
    trying to plot the movement of the instantaneous centre of lock jaw pliers

first image is an example of the 4 bar link and the second is a sketch which Ive drawn of what i think it would be. is this the only instantaneous centre? lock_jaw_pliers_assembly_image.jpg lock jaw pliers.png

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Perhaps it is clear to everyone else, but I have no idea WHAT center you are talking about. Can you draw a red dot on your first image showing where the "center" is that you mean? Also, what part(s) do you assume are not moving? It could be the upper or the lower handle sections (I assume it's the upper section but without saying, your problem is ill defined).

4. Oct 19, 2014 #3
    the instantaneous centre of zero velocity(sorry should of mentioned that)

the red line is connecting the dots of the instantaneous centre of zero velocity at five positions through the movement of the pliers

the top link (top handle) is fixed in my example

dose this clear it up?

Thank you :)

5. Oct 19, 2014 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't know what that means.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook