Question about an example in Newton's Principia

GCUEasilyDistracted
I've started reading the Principia and have been trying to follow along with the examples. Unfortunately, I got stuck almost immediately. This example is from 'Axioms, or laws of motion', Law III, Corollary II. It is based on the following picture (everything in red is my addition):

NewtonDiagram.png

The text states "As if the unequal radii ##OM## and ##ON## drawn from the centre ##O## of any wheel, should sustain the weights ##A## and ##P## by the cords ##MA## and ##NP##; and the forces of those weights to move the wheel were required...If the weight ##p##, equal to the weight ##P##, is partly suspended by the cord ##Np##, partly sustained by the oblique plane ##pG##; draw ##pH##, ##NH##, the former perpendicular to the horizon, the latter to the plane ##pG##; and if the force of the weight ##p## tending downwards is represented by the line ##pH##, it may be resolved into the forces ##pN##, ##HN##." It later says "therefore if the weight ##p## is to the weight ##A## in a ratio compounded of the reciprocal ratio of the least distances of the cords ##PN##, ##AM##, from the centre of the wheel, and of the direct ratio of ##pH## to ##pN##, the weights will have the same effect towards moving the wheel, and will therefore sustain each other." I was trying to make sense of this and derive the result.

The least distances of the cords ##PN## and ##AM## from the center ##O## should refer to the lengths of the lines ##OL## and ##OK## respectively if I'm correct. So, the "reciprocal ratio" of these ought to be ##\frac{\overline{OK}}{\overline{OL}}##. The "direct ratio" of ##pH## to ##pN## should just be ##\frac{\overline{pH}}{\overline{pN}}##. So the way I interpret the second statement I quoted is that the forces due to weights ##A## and ##p## will be balanced on the wheel, resulting in zero torque, if

$$\frac{m_p}{m_A} = \frac{\overline{OK}}{\overline{OL}}\frac{\overline{pH}}{\overline{pN}}$$ $$(Eq. 1)$$

Here I'm also assuming that the weight ##P## is not included under consideration.

While trying to derive this relationship, I attempted to calculate the magnitudes of the torques due to each weight.

$$\tau_A = \overline{OK}m_Ag$$

$$\tau_p = \overline{OR}T_{pN}$$

##T_{pN}## is the magnitude of tension in the cord ##pN##.

Note that ##T_{pN} = m_pg\frac{\overline{pN}}{\overline{pH}}##. Therefore,

$$\tau_p = \overline{OR}m_pg\frac{\overline{pN}}{\overline{pH}}$$

Setting ##\tau_A = \tau_p## gives

$$\overline{OK}m_Ag = \overline{OR}m_pg\frac{\overline{pN}}{\overline{pH}}$$

$$\overline{OK}m_A = \overline{OR}m_p\frac{\overline{pN}}{\overline{pH}}$$

$$\frac{m_p}{m_A} = \frac{\overline{OK}}{\overline{OR}}\frac{\overline{pH}}{\overline{pN}}$$ $$(Eq. 2)$$

Equation 2 is almost the same as Equation 1, it's just that ##\overline{OL}## is replaced by ##\overline{OR}##. If the statement "the least distances of the cords ##PN##, ##AM##, from the centre of the wheel" were replaced with "the least distances of the cords ##pN##, ##AM##, from the centre of the wheel" (note the lowercase ##p##), then it would be identical since the least distance of ##pN## from ##O## is in fact ##\overline{OR}##.

Where am I going wrong? I really appreciate any help with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure many people will be able to decipher a work of that era.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is an example in Newton's Principia?

An example in Newton's Principia is the famous thought experiment involving a cannonball being fired from a tall mountain. Newton used this example to illustrate his laws of motion and gravity.

2. Why is the cannonball example important in Newton's Principia?

The cannonball example is important because it helps to demonstrate how objects move under the influence of gravity and other forces. It provides a clear illustration of Newton's laws of motion and gravity in action.

3. How does the cannonball example relate to Newton's laws of motion?

In the cannonball example, Newton shows how the motion of the cannonball can be explained using his three laws of motion. The cannonball's initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and other factors all follow Newton's laws.

4. What insights can be gained from studying the cannonball example in Newton's Principia?

Studying the cannonball example in Newton's Principia can help us understand the fundamental principles of motion and gravity. It can also provide insights into how objects behave in various situations and environments.

5. How does the cannonball example demonstrate the universality of Newton's laws?

The cannonball example demonstrates the universality of Newton's laws by showing how they can be applied to a wide range of scenarios, from simple projectile motion to celestial mechanics. This example highlights the broad applicability and predictive power of Newton's laws of motion and gravity.