Instantaneous velocity of point on a trochoid

In summary, the conversation discussed finding formulas for the instantaneous velocity of a point on trochoid curves. It was mentioned that the parametric equations for a trochoid are x= a\phi- bsin(\phi) and y= a- bcos(\phi), and that differentiating the position vector can give the instantaneous velocity. It was also noted that \omega is used to signify the angular velocity in this context. The conversation concluded with a clarification that the answer to the question cannot be found in mathematics alone, as it involves physics concepts.
ktoz
Hi
I Googled http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Trochoid.html" but wasn't able to find formulas for the instantaneous velocity of a point on trochoid curves. Does anyone know of an online reference (or know how to find the velocity)

I can get rough estimates by calculating the distance between two "ticks" on a trochoid curve but I want to get exact values if possible.

Thanks for any help

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Then you learned that parametric equations for a trochoid are
[itex]x= a\phi- bsin(\phi)[/itex] and [itex]y= a- bcos(\phi)[/itex] where [itex]\phi[/itex] is the angle the line from the point to the center of the "rolling circle".

I assume you also understand that a "point" on a tronchoid (or any other geometric figure) doesn't have a "velocity"- that's why just look up those words didn't give a "velocity". "Velocity" is a physics concept while "tronchoid" and "points" are purely geometric. Assuming you mean "the instantaneous velocity of a point moving with given speed on a tronchoid", then you get the instantaneous velocity, as Sir Isaac Netwons said, by differentiating the position vector: the x and y components of the velocity vector are given by
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}= \left[a -b cos(\phi)\right]\frac{d\phi}{dt}[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}= sin(\phi)\frac{d\phi}{dt}[/tex]

In the simple case of "constant angular speed", [itex]\phi(t)= \omega t[/itex], that is
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}= \omega\left[a -b cos(\phi)\right][/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}= \omega sin(\phi)[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
In the simple case of "constant angular speed", [itex]\phi(t)= \omega t[/itex], that is
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}= \omega\left[a -b cos(\phi)\right][/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}= \omega sin(\phi)[/tex]

Thanks Halls. I'm guessing you're using [tex]\phi[/tex] to signify the angle but what are you using [tex]\omega[/tex] for? I tried Googling "omega + trig" and several variations on that, but omega seems to be used many different ways depending on the branch of mathematics. Could you give me a concrete example with actual numbers plugged in rather than [tex]\omega[/tex]?

Thanks in advance.

Once again, you will not find your answer in mathematics because your question is about physics. I don't know why you are "guessing" anything since I said

1) 'where [itex]\phi[/itex] is the angle the line from the point to the center of the "rolling circle".'

2) (as you quoted) "In the simple case of "constant angular speed", [itex]\phi(t)= \omega t[/itex]".
[itex]\omega= \phi/t[/itex] is standard (physics) notation for the angular velocity.

HallsofIvy said:
Once again, you will not find your answer in mathematics because your question is about physics. I don't know why you are "guessing" anything since I said

1) 'where [itex]\phi[/itex] is the angle the line from the point to the center of the "rolling circle".'

2) (as you quoted) "In the simple case of "constant angular speed", [itex]\phi(t)= \omega t[/itex]".
[itex]\omega= \phi/t[/itex] is standard (physics) notation for the angular velocity.

Thanks Halls. Much appreciated.

1. What is the definition of instantaneous velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the rate of change of an object's position at a specific moment in time. It is the velocity at a single point in time, as opposed to the average velocity which is calculated over a period of time.

2. How is instantaneous velocity calculated?

Instantaneous velocity can be calculated by taking the derivative of an object's position function with respect to time. In the case of a trochoid, the position function would be the parametric equations that describe the curve.

3. What is a trochoid?

A trochoid is a curve that is traced by a point on the circumference of a circle as it rolls along a straight line. It is also known as a cycloid or roulette.

4. How does the shape of a trochoid affect the instantaneous velocity of a point on it?

The shape of a trochoid can greatly affect the instantaneous velocity of a point on it. Different types of trochoids (such as cycloids, epicycloids, and hypocycloids) have different parametric equations and therefore, different instantaneous velocities at different points along the curve.

5. What factors can cause changes in the instantaneous velocity of a point on a trochoid?

The instantaneous velocity of a point on a trochoid can be affected by various factors such as the size of the circle, the length of the line, and the starting position of the point on the circle. Additionally, external forces such as friction and air resistance can also affect the instantaneous velocity of the point.