• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Instantaneous versus average velocity?

• Thread starter DeltaForce
  • Start date

DeltaForce

Gold Member
Homework Statement
If the instantaneous velocity does not change, will the average velocities for different time intervals differ?
Homework Equations
avg velocity
instantaneous velocity
I have a hard time understanding what this problem even means. So I can't even begin with it.

Homework Statement: If the instantaneous velocity does not change, will the average velocities for different time intervals differ?
Homework Equations: avg velocity
instantaneous velocity

I have a hard time understanding what this problem even means. So I can't even begin with it.
Maybe I understand. Define for me the average velocity and the instantaneous velocity. How do they differ.?

haruspex

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Homework Statement: If the instantaneous velocity does not change, will the average velocities for different time intervals differ?
Homework Equations: avg velocity
instantaneous velocity

The instantaneous velocity not changing just means the velocity is constant.
If in time interval (t,t+Δt) the position vector changes from ##\vec x## to ##\vec x+\vec{\Delta x}## then the average velocity over that time interval is ##\frac{\vec{\Delta x}}{\Delta t}##.

basically, if ##\frac {d\vec {x}}{dt}## is the same at every moment during the movement, then would you get a different average velocity if you compute it for different time intervals, say between ##t_1## and ##t_2## and between ##t_3## and ##t_4##.