1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inteference of light ray in thin flim

1. Aug 31, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    according to the notes in the photo, the light ray undergo of phase change of 0.5 λ when it strike and reflected from glass surface (denser) at point A . so the OPD of ray 1 &2 = 2nt-0.5λ..
    but in the 2nd photo , the OPD of ray 1 & 2 is given by 2nt+0.5λ . i am not sure which one is correct. can someone enlighten me on this?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well well, you've really gone out of your way to make life easy for us poor helpers...

Now all we need is some relevant equations and your attempt at a solution, right ?

4. Aug 31, 2014 #3
    Sorry. I dont umderstand the situation so I hope someone can help me out on this.

5. Aug 31, 2014 #4
    Or should I post this problem in other section? Which section should I post?

6. Aug 31, 2014 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They are equivalent. The electric field changes to the opposite when reflected from the surface of a higher index material. The phase change can be taken either pi or -pi, all the same. (If you add pi or - pi to the argument of a sine function, you get the same: sin(x+pi) = sin(x) cos (pi) = -sin(x) and sin(x-pi)= sin(x)cos (-pi) = -sin(x) as cos(pi)=cos(-pi)=-1.) They correspond to optical path differences +λ/2 or -λ/2.
    I would prefer 2nt+0.5 λ for the optical path difference, so as it is positive even with very thin layers.

ehild

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  7. Sep 1, 2014 #6
    hi, please refer to the photo 2 . It is shown that the n start from 1 , but not 0 .
    If the n start form 0 , the thickness surely will become negative value. which is indeed wrong.( from mathematical treatment)
    I cant understand why the n cant be start from 1 from the physics theory. can you explain on this?

8. Sep 1, 2014 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You asked if the OPD (optical path difference) can be written as 2nt-0.5λ or 2nt+0.5λ. In that context, n is the refractive index and t is the thickness of the layer.
    If you use μ to denote the refractive index, you should write the OPD as 2μt-0.5λ.

If you mean the condition of constructive interference, the optical path difference should be integer multiple of λ, 2μt-0.5λ=kλ or 2μt=(k+0.5)λ, k=0, 1,2,....

In case the OPD is taken 2μt+0.5λ, the condition of constructive interference is 2μt=(k-0.5)λ, k=1,2,....

ehild

9. Sep 1, 2014 #8
    why for
    2μt=(k-0.5)λ , the k starts from 1 but cant be 0 ? can you explain it using physics theory?

10. Sep 1, 2014 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

t, the layer thickness would be negative at k=0, which is impossible.

ehild

11. Sep 2, 2014 #10
    i knew this (from maths) , but can you explain in 'physics way' ?

12. Sep 2, 2014 #11

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you seen anything with negative thickness? For example how would a -0.2 m thick wall look like ?????

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted