Integral for the free propagator

In summary, the author is saying that he is going to perform an integration over the real line, but he first needs to take a contour such that the integral along that contour is zero.
NanakiXIII
This may be more of a maths question, but because I may actually just be interpreting the expression wrong, I think I'd better post it here.

I'm reading Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell by A. Zee and I'm stuck on a bit of maths he does. He provides an expression for the free propagator for a particles described by the Klein-Gordon equation,

[tex]
D(x-y) = \int \frac{d^4 k}{(2 \pi)^4} \frac{e^{i k (x-y)}}{k^2 - m^2 + i \epsilon}.
[/tex]

Now, if I am not mistaken, the integral over four counts of [itex]k[/itex] means integrating over [itex]k^0, k^1, k^2, k^3[/itex], each with integration limits [itex]-\infty[/itex] and [itex]\infty[/itex].

He goes on to perform the integral over [itex]k^0[/itex], and he describes this as a contour integral in the complex plain. He takes this contour to be the real axis and an infinite semicircle to get back to [itex]-\infty[/itex]. My question is, why does he add that semicircle? Once you've integrated over the real line, since the integration limits are [itex]-\infty[/itex] and [itex]\infty[/itex], aren't you done? Or have I perhaps misinterpreted what he means to integrate over?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your interpretation of the integral is correct, what your books does is just a trick in order to be able to perform the integral. The idea is to make your integration complex and choose a contour such that the complex integral is zero, except the part on the real line (the integral along the infinite semicircle should give zero). This allows one to use for example the Residue theorem, and therefore one is able to perform the integration.

See this example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residue_theorem#Example".

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, now I see. I was trying to figure out what was happening with the help of my book on Complex Variables, but now I see I was looking in quite the wrong chapters. Thanks!

What is the integral for the free propagator?

The integral for the free propagator is a mathematical expression used in quantum field theory to calculate the amplitude of a particle propagating from one point to another in free space. It takes into account the mass and energy of the particle as well as the distance between the two points.

Why is the integral for the free propagator important?

The integral for the free propagator is important because it allows us to calculate the probability of a particle propagating from one point to another. This is essential in understanding the behavior of particles in free space and is a fundamental concept in quantum field theory.

What is the formula for the integral for the free propagator?

The formula for the integral for the free propagator is given by K(x, y) = (1/4π²) * ∫(e^(-im|x-y|)/|x-y|) d³p, where K(x, y) represents the amplitude of the particle propagating from point x to point y, m is the mass of the particle, and p is the momentum of the particle.

How is the integral for the free propagator derived?

The integral for the free propagator is derived using a mathematical technique called Feynman diagrams. These diagrams represent the possible paths a particle can take from one point to another and are used to calculate the amplitude of the particle propagating. The integral is then obtained by summing over all possible Feynman diagrams.

Can the integral for the free propagator be used for particles other than photons?

Yes, the integral for the free propagator can be used for particles other than photons. It is a general formula that can be applied to any particle with mass and momentum. However, for particles with non-zero mass, the integral will have additional terms to account for the particle's mass and energy.