Path Integral Approach To Derive The KG Propagator

In summary, the line in the notes that is causing trouble for the student is 6.9. The student is trying to integrate over x to get a Dirac delta function, but apparently is not sure how to get the desired result. When they do the calculation, they get 𝛿 (2p).
Woolyabyss
I'm having trouble understanding a specific line in my lecturers notes about the path integral approach to deriving the Klein Gordon propagator. I've attached the notes as an image to this post. In particular my main issue comes with (6.9). I can see that at some point he integrates over x to get a Dirac delta, which is how he gets the minus p's. I'm just not certain how he gets the desired dirac dellta function to make this expression? When I do the calculation I end up with 𝛿 (2p). Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• path.png
    path.png
    58 KB · Views: 316
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to replace the current ##J## and the field ##\phi## by the Fourier transforms in 6.8 (use separate momentum space variables). You should get the delta you need.

Same for the kinetic term.

Then for the source term, remember the fields are real valued.

When you plug in the right-hand side of the 2nd equation in (6.8) for ##\phi(x)##, you need to use two different dummy integration 4-momenta for each of the two factors of ##\phi(x)## in each term; call these ##p## and ##p'##. Then when doing the ##d^4x## integral, you will get ##(2\pi)^4\delta^4(p+p')##.

Also, note that there should be a factor of ##i## before the ##\int J\phi## term on the left-hand side of (6.9).

Thanks for the replies, I've managed to get out (p^2 -m ) term of (6.9) but am still unsure for the second term. It appears as though its being split in two and they are flipping the momentum variables, But why?

One should note that (6.10) misses completely the most important point about this entire calculation. It's a nonsensensical expression. You have to specify the propagator you want to calculate, and both operator perturbation theory as well as the path-integral approach show that you need the Feynman propagator here, i.e.,
$$\Delta(p)=\frac{1}{p^2-m^2+\mathrm{i} 0^+}.$$
The crucial point is the ##\mathrm{i} 0^+## term here.

For its derivation in non-relativistic first-quantization path integrals see Sect. 1.10 in

https://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf
The derivation for the QFT case is completely analogous to this.

Likes DarMM

1. What is the path integral approach?

The path integral approach is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle moving from one point to another. It involves summing over all possible paths that the particle could take in order to reach its final destination.

2. How is the path integral approach used to derive the KG propagator?

The KG propagator is the mathematical expression that describes the evolution of a quantum field over time. The path integral approach is used to derive this propagator by summing over all possible paths that the field could take between two points in spacetime.

3. What is the significance of the KG propagator?

The KG propagator is significant because it allows us to calculate the probability amplitude for a quantum field to evolve from one state to another. This is important in understanding the behavior of quantum systems and predicting their future states.

4. What are the advantages of using the path integral approach over other methods?

The path integral approach is advantageous because it provides a more intuitive and visual understanding of quantum systems. It also allows for the incorporation of boundary conditions and interactions between particles, making it a more versatile tool for studying complex systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using the path integral approach?

One limitation of the path integral approach is that it can become computationally intensive when dealing with systems with a large number of particles. It also requires the use of advanced mathematical techniques, making it more challenging for beginners to understand and apply.