Integral involved in solving Poisson's equation

• Thread starter iomtt6076
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: Thus, I = \frac{-1}{4\pi r} .In summary, we can solve the Poisson equation by using the Fourier transform and finding the integral I. By using a hint given, we can change to spherical polars and solve for I, which is equal to -1/4pi times the square root of x^2+y^2+z^2.
iomtt6076

Homework Statement

Problem 8.30 from Greenberg's Foundations of Applied Mathematics: We meet the integral

[tex] I = -\frac{1}{8\pi^3}\int_{-\infty}^\infty\int_{-\infty}^\infty\int_{-\infty}^\infty\frac{e^{i(\xi x+\eta y+\zeta z)}}{\xi^2+\eta^2+\zeta^2}\,d\xi\,d\eta\,d\zeta [/tex]

when we solve the Poisson equation by the Fourier transform. Show that [tex] I=-1/4\pi r [/tex], where [tex] r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2} [/tex]

Homework Equations

A hint is given; it says to note that [tex] \exp i(\xi x+\eta y+\zeta z)=\exp i\mathbf{R}\cdot\mathbf{r} [/tex] where R is the vector to the point [tex] (\xi ,\eta ,\zeta ) [/tex], r is the vector to the point (x,y,z), and [tex] \theta [/tex] is the angle between R and r. Then change over to spherical polars [tex] R, \theta, \phi [/tex] with r as the polar axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

Following the hint, I get

[tex] I = \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^\pi\int_0^\infty\frac{e^{irR\cos\theta}}{R^2}R^2\sin\theta\,dR\,d\theta\,d\phi [/tex]

since the axes are only rotated so the Jacobian is 1 (volumes are not contracted or expanded). However, then I get that the integral doesn't exist. Now I found

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=293550"

where apparently a constant squared is thrown into the denominator, integration methods from complex variables are used, and then the limit is taken as the constant approaches zero. However, our class hasn't done complex variables and in any case I am not yet familiar with such methods.

So have I done something wrong or is there another way to proceed?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
iomtt6076 said:
However, then I get that the integral doesn't exist.

Actually... it does:

[tex] I = 2\pi\int_0^\infty\,dR\int_0^\pi\sin\theta e^{irR\cos\theta}\,d\theta =2\pi\int_0^\infty\,dR\int_0^\pi (-\frac{1}{irR})\,de^{irR\cos\theta} [/tex]

[tex] =\frac{4\pi}{r}\int_0^\infty\,dR\frac{1}{R}\frac{e^{irR}-e^{-irR}}{2i}=\frac{4\pi}{r}\int_0^\infty\frac{\sin rR}{R}\,dR=\frac{2\pi^2}{r} [/tex]

1. What is an integral involved in solving Poisson's equation?

An integral involved in solving Poisson's equation is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve and is used to solve for unknown variables in the equation.

2. Why is an integral necessary to solve Poisson's equation?

Integrals are necessary in solving Poisson's equation because they allow us to find the value of a function at a specific point, which is crucial in solving for unknown variables in the equation.

3. How does an integral help us understand Poisson's equation?

An integral helps us understand Poisson's equation by representing the relationship between the electric potential and the charge distribution in a given space.

4. Can you explain the process of using an integral to solve Poisson's equation?

To use an integral to solve Poisson's equation, we first express the equation in integral form, then evaluate the integral using appropriate mathematical techniques, such as integration by parts or substitution. This allows us to find the solution to the equation at a given point.

5. Are there any limitations to using an integral to solve Poisson's equation?

One limitation of using an integral to solve Poisson's equation is that it can be time-consuming and complex, especially for higher-dimensional problems. Additionally, it may not be possible to find an analytical solution using integrals for certain boundary conditions.