Integral of a real function multiplied by an imaginary function.

In summary, the conversation discusses a particular equation in mathematics for quantum mechanics and the conditions under which the integral of the equation is equal to zero. The equation involves a function a(k) and its derivative with respect to k. It is mentioned that if a(k) is constrained to be real, then the integral is zero. The conversation also touches on the possibility of proving this result and clarifies the nature of the integral as being imaginary due to the presence of the imaginary number i.
cnelson
So I'm reviewing some mathematics for quantum mechanics and this came equation came up
[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} a \left( k \right)^{*} i \dfrac{d\,a\left(k\right)}{dk}dk[/itex].

If [itex]a \left( k \right)[/itex] is constrained to be real then this integral is zero or so the text says. Why is this the case? Is it because this is the summation of two orthogonal functions so the integral must be zero. If so how what would be the first steps to proving this to myself?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the text say the integral is real? The integral is i{a2(∞) -a2(-∞)}/2

I don't know anything about a, but its values at the end points may be 0.

The text just says that [itex]a \left(k\right)[/itex] is real. So its derivative is also real. But the derivative is multiplied by [itex]i[/itex] making it purely imaginary. So some how when these are multiplied and then integrated the integral is zero which I don't understand. Let me know if more clarification is needed.

1. What is an integral of a real function multiplied by an imaginary function?

The integral of a real function multiplied by an imaginary function is a mathematical operation that involves finding the area under a curve in the complex plane. It is a type of line integral and is often used in physics and engineering to calculate things like work and electric fields.

2. How do you calculate the integral of a real function multiplied by an imaginary function?

To calculate the integral of a real function multiplied by an imaginary function, you can use the standard rules of integration and treat the imaginary part as a constant. You can also use the method of substitution or integration by parts if necessary.

3. What is the significance of the integral of a real function multiplied by an imaginary function?

The integral of a real function multiplied by an imaginary function can represent physical quantities such as work, displacement, and electric fields in the complex plane. It is also used in the study of complex analysis and has applications in various fields of mathematics and science.

4. Can the integral of a real function multiplied by an imaginary function be negative?

Yes, the integral of a real function multiplied by an imaginary function can be negative. This is because the imaginary part can be negative, and when multiplied by the real function, it can result in a negative value. The sign of the integral depends on the function being integrated and the limits of integration.

5. Are there any special cases when calculating the integral of a real function multiplied by an imaginary function?

Yes, there are a few special cases when calculating the integral of a real function multiplied by an imaginary function. For example, if the imaginary function is a constant, the integral will be a pure imaginary number. Additionally, if the real function is an even or odd function, certain integration techniques may simplify the calculation.