Integral of e^ax·cos²(2bx) and finding all values of i^(2/3)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
Geronimo85
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
I have two homework problems that have been driving me nuts:

1.) evaluate the indefinite integral:

integral(dx(e^ax)cos^2(2bx))

where a and b are real positive constants. I just don't know where to start on it.

2.) Find all values of i^(2/3)

So far I have:

i^(2/3)
= e^(2/3*ln(i))
= e^(2/3*i*(Pi/2 + 2*n*Pi))
= e^(i*Pi/3)*e^(i*n*4Pi/3)

I know from the back of my book my three solutions should end up being (1+i*sqrt(3))/2, (1-i*sqrt(3))/2, -1. But I can't seem to get there. I'd really appreciate any help. Sorry if my shorthand is confusing.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For 1) use the exponential notation for cos x, then integrate. You can do it by integration by parts twice, then use 'the trick' but that would be pretty messy.