1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of non-constant acceleration

1. May 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A stone falls from a high tower. what is the distance, in the x direction, parallel to the ground, that the stone reaches, caused only by the x component, the tangential component, of the gravity, after t seconds of free fall.

2. Relevant equations
    The constant acceleration formula:
    [tex]x=\frac{1}{2}a\cdot t^2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    According to the drawing attached, the acceleration in the x direction is:
    [tex]a=g\cdot\sin\theta=g\sin(\omega t)[/tex]
    Where ω is the angular velocity of the earth.
    I insert this a into the constant acceleration formula, since i don't know anything else, and, maybe, in short intervals of time the acceleration is approximately constant.
    So, i get:
    [tex]dx=\frac{1}{2}g\sin(\omega dt)\cdot dt^2[/tex]
    And:
    [tex]x=\frac{g}{2}\int_{0}^{4} \sin(\omega t)\cdot t^2[/tex]
    Is this approach correct? since, numerically, the results aren't.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since the numerical result isn't correct, I doubt that the approach is correct either.

Kind of a strange problem.

I guess that the tower is so high that stone doesn't land at a point directly below the position it was dropped from.

It also looks like you were to to assume that the tower is short enough to consider g to be a constant value.

What class is this for?

4. May 7, 2013 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, weird. Looks like a Coriolis problem except the latitude is not given, nor the tower height.

5. May 7, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I agree, strange question. What is 'tangential component of gravity', unless caused by a gravitational anomaly? What does the diagram represent? Perhaps theta therein is supposed to be pi/2 - latitude, but the rest of the picture still doesn't make sense, and as Rude man says you still need the tower height. (I get ωht sin(θ), where h is the tower height and ω = 2π/24hours.)

Edit: What rubbish, haruspex :blushing:. The tower height is not needed. My h above should be the vertical distance fallen in time t, so it reduces to ωgt3 sin(θ)/2 = 2.3 cm at the equator.
    But I don't see that you need any of that fancy non-inertial frame calculation - at a distance h below the release point, the tangential velocity difference between the stone and the tower is ωh sin(θ), and that is constant, so the horizontal separation is ωht sin(θ).

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  6. May 7, 2013 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

7. May 8, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted