Integral of sqrt(x^2-a^2)exp(-x)

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter uplink
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
uplink
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
New to the forum, thanks for having me.

I've looked in tables and tried Mathmatica but have not came
up with a formula for the integral over x of

sqrt(x^2-a^2)exp(-x)

If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be appreciative.
Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int\sqrt{x^2-a^2}e^{-x}dx[/tex]

Integration by parts?

There is a standard formula for integrating [tex]\int\sqrt{x^2-a^2}dx[/tex] (that involves logs which might help later with the exponential).

Haven't worked it out myself but that's where i'd start.
 
Thanks for your help. Seems integration by parts will just require further integrals
of the form (x^2-a^2)^n/2 exp(-x). Maybe I'll just have to integrate numberially for fixed values of a.
 
The integral from a to infinity can be expressed in terms of a modified Bessel function of the first kind.