Integral of sqrt(x^2-a^2)exp(-x)

• Thread starter uplink
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the speaker is new to the forum and is looking for help finding a formula for the integral of sqrt(x^2-a^2)exp(-x). Others suggest using integration by parts or a standard formula involving logs. The speaker mentions using numerical integration or a modified Bessel function of the first kind for the integral from a to infinity.
uplink
New to the forum, thanks for having me.

I've looked in tables and tried Mathmatica but have not came
up with a formula for the integral over x of

sqrt(x^2-a^2)exp(-x)

If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be appreciative.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int\sqrt{x^2-a^2}e^{-x}dx[/tex]

Integration by parts?

There is a standard formula for integrating [tex]\int\sqrt{x^2-a^2}dx[/tex] (that involves logs which might help later with the exponential).

Haven't worked it out myself but that's where i'd start.

You won't be able to find a primitive.

yeah. wolfram didn't like it when i plugged it in.

Thanks for your help. Seems integration by parts will just require further integrals
of the form (x^2-a^2)^n/2 exp(-x). Maybe I'll just have to integrate numberially for fixed values of a.

The integral from a to infinity can be expressed in terms of a modified Bessel function of the first kind.

1. What is the formula for the integral of sqrt(x^2-a^2)exp(-x)?

The formula for the integral of sqrt(x^2-a^2)exp(-x) is ∫sqrt(x^2-a^2)exp(-x)dx = -exp(-x) * sqrt(x^2-a^2) + C.

2. What is the domain of the integral of sqrt(x^2-a^2)exp(-x)?

The domain of the integral of sqrt(x^2-a^2)exp(-x) is all real numbers, as long as a^2 is less than or equal to x^2. If a^2 is greater than x^2, the integral is undefined.

3. How do you solve the integral of sqrt(x^2-a^2)exp(-x)?

To solve the integral of sqrt(x^2-a^2)exp(-x), you can use substitution by letting u = x^2 - a^2 and du = 2x dx. This will transform the integral into ∫sqrt(u) * exp(-sqrt(u)) * (1/2)du. From here, you can use integration by parts or a u-substitution to solve the integral.

4. What is the significance of the constant "a" in the integral of sqrt(x^2-a^2)exp(-x)?

The constant "a" in the integral of sqrt(x^2-a^2)exp(-x) represents the distance between the x-axis and the center of the circle formed by the function sqrt(x^2-a^2). It affects the shape of the graph and the value of the integral.

5. Can the integral of sqrt(x^2-a^2)exp(-x) be evaluated using basic integration rules?

No, the integral of sqrt(x^2-a^2)exp(-x) cannot be evaluated using basic integration rules. It requires more advanced techniques such as substitution or integration by parts to solve.