Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of two-variable function

1. May 15, 2012 #1
    I'm working on a problem where the current i is described by the equation:

di/dt = i*A/(B+C*t)

The rate of change in i therefore depends on both i and t. I'm looking for a closed-form solution for i(t) given i(0)=I. I have to admit my calculus is pretty rusty and I'm having trouble figuring out how to solve that equation.

Can anyone offer some assistance or a push in the right direction? Thanks much.

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2012 #2
    Forget it--I figured it out

OK, my apologies. I was able to solve the problem using variable substitution--basically, finding di/dC and then finding i(C). Sorry for the false alarm.

4. May 15, 2012 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

C is a constant???

5. May 15, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

??? You say that the rate of change depends upon both i and t. So where does "C" come into this? Given that
    [tex]\frac{di}{dt}= \frac{Ai}{B+ Ct}[/tex]
    a "separable equation", you can rewrite it as
    [tex]\frac{di}{i}= \frac{Adt}{B+ Ct}[/tex]
    which can be integrated.

6. May 16, 2012 #5
    Yes, C is a constant. Looking back at my notes, it looks like what I did was to set q(t) = B+C*t, then di/dt = i*A/q, and since dq/dt = C, (di/dt)*(dt/dq) = di/dq = i*A/(C*q) and I then integrated (1/i)*di = (A/C)*(1/q)*dq to find i(q) and made some substitutions to find i(t).

But back to the original problem, where you left it is where I was stumped: what is the integral of A*dt/(B+C*t) ?

7. May 16, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's a fairly standard "Calculus II" problem. Let u= B+Ct so that du= Cdt and dt=du/C.
    [tex]\int \frac{Adt}{B+ Ct}= A\int \frac{du/C}{u}= \frac{A}{C}\int \frac{du}{u}[/tex]

8. May 16, 2012 #7
    Ah, thanks. For some reason I have no specific memory of learning that, but apparently the lesson soaked in somehow and helped me figure it out. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook