Integral of type 'derivative over function' with a twist

In summary, the question asks for the integral of (2x - 3) / (x^2 - 3x - 5)^2. The method discussed is integration by substitution, where u=x^2-3x-5 and du=u'dx=(2x-3)dx. This transforms the integral into du/u^2, which can be integrated. The final answer is obtained as (1 / (x^2-3x-5)) + C.
BalintRigo

Homework Statement

Find the integral

[(2x - 3) / (x^2 - 3x - 5)^2] dx

Homework Equations

I noticed that if I differentiate the denominator I get the nominator, which would be a simple problem. The denominator, however is raised to the power 2.

Can I still somehow use the rule for integrals where the nominator is the derivative of the denominator? Or do I need to take a different approach?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The 'approach' you are talking about is integration by substitution, I hope. You've observed that if u=x^2-3x-5, then du=u'dx=(2x-3)dx. That's great. That turns the integral into du/u^2 in terms of u. Can you integrate that?

I got it, thanks an awful lot!

1. What is the integral of a derivative over a function with a twist?

The integral of a derivative over a function with a twist is a type of integration problem that involves finding the antiderivative of a function that is the product of a derivative and another function, with an added twist or modification to the original function.

2. How is this type of integral different from a regular integration problem?

This type of integral is different from a regular integration problem because it involves a derivative and usually requires a different approach or technique to solve it. The twist in the function can also make it more challenging to find the antiderivative.

3. What are some common techniques used to solve this type of integral?

Some common techniques used to solve this type of integral include integration by parts, substitution, and partial fractions. It is important to carefully analyze the function and the twist in order to choose the most appropriate technique.

4. Can this type of integral be solved using a calculator or computer program?

Yes, this type of integral can be solved using a calculator or computer program. However, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and techniques in order to verify the results and to know when the answer is incorrect.

5. Are there any real-world applications for this type of integral?

Yes, this type of integral has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object at a given time, or to determine the rate of change of a stock price over time.