What is the integral of (x^2+x)/(2x+1) when split into manageable pieces?

• B
  • Thread starter Sua Lee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the general formula for finding the integral of (x^2+x)/(2x+1) is: ∫(x^2+x)/(2x+1) dx = (x^2/2 + 2x/2 - 2ln|2x+1|) + C. The substitution method can be used to solve this integral, as well as partial fractions. Integration by parts and completing the square are alternative methods that can also be used to solve the integral.
Sua Lee
Member warned that homework questions must be posted in a homework forum
I know integral of (2x+1)/(x^2+x).
but i don't know integral of (x^2+x)/(2x+1).
I'm very curious...
please answer me...

Physics news on Phys.org
What (rules) do you know about integration?

Split the integrand into manageable pieces.
[itex] \frac{x^2+x}{2x+1}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{x^2+\frac{x}{2}}{2x+1}+\frac{x}{4x+2}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{x}{2}+\frac{x+\frac{1}{4}}{4x+2}-\frac{1}{16x+8}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{x}{2}+\frac{1}{4}-\frac{1}{16x+8}[/itex]

1. What is the general formula for finding the integral of (x^2+x)/(2x+1)?

The general formula for finding the integral of (x^2+x)/(2x+1) is: ∫(x^2+x)/(2x+1) dx = (x^2/2 + 2x/2 - 2ln|2x+1|) + C

2. Can the integral of (x^2+x)/(2x+1) be solved using the substitution method?

Yes, the substitution method can be used to solve the integral of (x^2+x)/(2x+1). The substitution u = 2x+1 can be made, followed by the substitution du = 2dx.

3. Is it possible to solve the integral of (x^2+x)/(2x+1) using integration by parts?

No, integration by parts cannot be used to solve the integral of (x^2+x)/(2x+1) as there are no two functions whose product is (x^2+x)/(2x+1).

4. Can the integral of (x^2+x)/(2x+1) be solved using partial fractions?

Yes, the integral of (x^2+x)/(2x+1) can be solved using partial fractions. After performing long division, the resulting fraction can be written as (x/2 + 3/4) + (1/4)(1/(2x+1)). The integral of the first term can be easily found, while the integral of the second term can be solved using the substitution method.

5. Is there an alternative method for solving the integral of (x^2+x)/(2x+1)?

Yes, the integral of (x^2+x)/(2x+1) can also be solved using the method of completing the square. By completing the square in the denominator, the integral can be rewritten as ∫(x^2 + x + 1/4 - 1/4)/(2x+1) dx. Then, the substitution w = x + 1/2 can be made, followed by the substitution dw = dx.