1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of (x^2+y^2)^(-3/2)dy

1. Sep 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello, I came across an unusual integral problem in my Physics book that I could not solve. The book simply skips the work and says to check the integral tables, but I wasn't able to find one that satisfied this problem.

2. Relevant equations

This is the problem: integral of (x^2+y^2)^(-3/2)dy

3. The attempt at a solution

Tried u-sub, but the lack of y makes it impossible. Couldn't do trig sub because of the negative exponent.

When I plugged it into WolframAlpha, it gave me a tidy solution, but the solutions are unavailable even in their app. It loads for a bit and shows "solution unavailable."

The proper solution should be y/[(x^2)*√(x^2+y^2)]+constant.

Here is the actual URL:
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integral+of+(x^2+y^2)^(-3/2)dy&incTime=true

This is the second time coming across this integral in this chapter and I cannot solve it for the life of me. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2014 #2
    The x can be regarded as a constant, right? Is it part of a double integral? Can you use IBP?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  4. Sep 15, 2014 #3
    Yes, x could be regarded as a constant, and no, not a part of a double integral. The physics parts of the problem were constants, so I just uploaded the core variables.

IBP didn't work for me because when I used tabular integration because the derivative and integral of each part would continue indefinitely if that makes sense.

Also if it helps, I worked through my problem using this guide I found:
    http://faculty.wwu.edu/vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/ElectricForce/LineChargeDer.html [Broken]

I only switched the x and y because my problem was a horizontal version of this example.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Sep 15, 2014 #4

B3NR4Y

Gold Member

I'm not sure what you mean by trig not working due to the negative exponent. I took a shot at it and got the same result as wolfram alpha. Try to take [itex] y = x tan \theta [/itex]. so the integral becomes:

[itex] \int \frac{1}{(x^{2} + y^{2})^{\frac{3}{2}}} dx = \int \frac{sec^{2} \theta d\theta}{(x^{2} + x^{2}tan^{2} \theta)^{\frac{3}{2}}} [/itex]

With trigonometric identities the solution should be easy.

Edit: wooah that LaTeX screw up, going to fix it.

6. Sep 15, 2014 #5
    Yes trigoniometrics is the way to go here.

7. Sep 15, 2014 #6
    Wow, that was easy. I dunno how that didn't spring to mind; I really need to brush up on my math haha.

Thank you!!

8. Sep 15, 2014 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you mean that in Wolfram it gives a tidy solution, but the solutions are unavailable? When I click on your link it gives a solution.

9. Sep 15, 2014 #8
    Oops, I left out a word there. Meant to say "solution steps." Usually in their app it shows the procedure of obtaining the solution. By "tidy" I meant that the end solution looked elegant and nothing like what I had on my paper at the time...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted