Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrals in the derivation of the Optical Theorem

1. Feb 12, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone,

I'm trying to work out all the intricate details of the limits involved in computing the integrals leading to the Optical Theorem in nonrelativistic Quantum Mechanics. In doing so, I have arrived at the following integrals which are to be evaluated in the [itex]r \rightarrow \infty[/itex] regime:

[tex]
    r^{2}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{-1}^{+1}f(\theta)e^{ikr(1-\cos\theta)}\left(\frac{ik}{r}(1+\cos\theta)-\frac{1}{r^2}\right)d(\cos\theta)d\phi = I_{1}
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    r^{2}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{-1}^{+1}f^{*}(\theta)e^{-ikr(1-\cos\theta)}\left(\frac{ik}{r}(1+\cos\theta)+\frac{1}{r^2}\right)d(\cos\theta)d\phi = I_{2}
    [/tex]

Modulo the [itex]\phi[/itex] integral, the expression for [itex]I_{1}[/itex] is

[tex]r^{2}\int_{-1}^{+1}f(\theta)e^{ikr(1-\cos\theta)}\left(\frac{ik}{r}(1+\cos\theta)-\frac{1}{r^2}\right)d(\cos\theta) = r^{2}\int_{-1}^{+1}f(\theta)e^{ikr(1-\cos\theta)}\left(\frac{ik}{r}(1+\cos\theta)\right)d(\cos\theta) - \int_{-1}^{+1}f(\theta)e^{ikr(1-\cos\theta)}d(\cos\theta)[/tex]

I am stuck at these integrals. I know what the "final" term in the optical theorem is, but without using the asymptotic solution, I don't know the right direction to proceed in. Specifically, if I consider [itex]f(\theta)(1+\cos\theta)[/itex] as the "first" function in the first integral, then integrating by parts I get

[tex]\int_{-1}^{+1}f(\theta)e^{ikr(1-\cos\theta)}(1+\cos\theta)d(\cos\theta) = \left[f(\theta)(1+\cos\theta)\frac{e^{ikr(1-\cos\theta)}}{-ikr}\right]_{-1}^{+1} - \int_{-1}^{+1}\frac{e^{ikr(1-\cos\theta)}}{-ikr}\left((1+\cos\theta)\frac{df(\theta)}{d(\cos\theta)} + f(\theta)\right)d(\cos\theta)[/tex]

Therefore,

[tex]r^{2}\int_{-1}^{+1}f(\theta)e^{ikr(1-\cos\theta)}\left(\frac{ik}{r}(1+\cos\theta)\right)d(\cos\theta) = ikr\left[\mbox{b.d.}\right] + \int_{-1}^{+1}e^{ikr(1-\cos\theta)}\left((1+\cos\theta)\frac{df(\theta)}{d(\cos\theta)} + f(\theta)\right)d(\cos\theta)[/tex]

where b.d. denotes the boundary term in the second last equation. Put together, these equations give

[tex]r^{2}\int_{-1}^{+1}f(\theta)e^{ikr(1-\cos\theta)}\left(\frac{ik}{r}(1+\cos\theta)-\frac{1}{r^2}\right)d(\cos\theta) = ikr\left[\mbox{b.d.}\right] + \int_{-1}^{+1}e^{ikr(1-\cos\theta)}\left((1+\cos\theta)\frac{df(\theta)}{d(\cos\theta)}\right)d(\cos\theta)[/tex]

Clearly the boundary term tends to zero as [itex]r \rightarrow \infty[/itex], so my original question reduces to the following question:

How does one evaluate the following integrals

[tex]\int_{-1}^{+1}e^{ikr(1-\cos\theta)}\left((1+\cos\theta)\frac{df(\theta)}{d(\cos\theta)}\right)d(\cos\theta)[/tex]
    [tex]\int_{-1}^{+1}f(\theta)e^{ikr(1-\cos\theta)}d(\cos\theta)[/tex]

in the [itex]r \rightarrow \infty[/itex] regime? I want to get some more insight into the physics as [itex]r \rightarrow \infty[/itex] so I'm hoping that an explicit evaluation of all these terms will be helpful.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2009 #2
    Someone please help...

4. Feb 14, 2009 #3
    Doesn't the saddle point method work? If r is very large, then the contribution to the integral will come from a narrow range of theta near the point where the aregument of the exponential is extremal.

So, you expand i k r (1-cos(theta)) around its extremal values and then, for large r, you end up with Gaussian integrals.

5. Feb 15, 2009 #4
    That seems intuitive. But I don't know how to rigorously justify it. Is this the saddle point method?

(I can plug in the asymptotic form of the spherical bessel functions in

[tex]e^{ikr\cos\theta} = \sum_{l=0}^{\infty}(2l+1)i^{l}j_{l}(kr)P_{l}(\cos\theta)[/tex]

and get the limit.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook