1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrate (2x^2+1)e^x^2dx ( Wow, seriously?)

1. Feb 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Integrate: (2x^2+1)e^x^2dx

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't even know where to start , I either got to do this by basic substitution or by parts. Basic substitution doesn't help for obvious reasons, so I thought I'd do it by parts, but that would get completely messed up based upon the e^x^2 not having any anti-derivative, so I'd need basic substitution to get rid of it.

I thought of making:

u = e^x^2
    ln|u| = x^2
    √ln|u| = x
    du = 2xe^x^2 dx

Therefore, my equation would be:

(2ln|u| + 1)/(2√[ln|u|]) du

Then I thought about breaking that up:

integrate: (2ln|u|)/(2√[ln|u|]) + 1/(2√[ln|u|])

Simplified to...

(ln|u|)/(√[ln|u|]) + 1/(2√[ln|u|])

Annnndd... now I'm stuck again because that square root is basically the most evilest thing on the entire planet. It limits partial fractions, I can't exactly do trig substitution, and the fraction kills by parts.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2010 #2
    Expand out the brackets of the integrand to get two terms, then try to do by parts on the first term only. Hint: [tex]dv = 2x e^{x^2}dx[/tex].
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  4. Feb 10, 2010 #3
    huh... This looks a lot simpler than my way... Lets see if I can finish it :P
  5. Feb 10, 2010 #4
    Huh, wow... Thanks, I didn't even THINK about being able to cancel the integrals that result.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook