1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrate to get Position function

1. Dec 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a car is going 30m/s and see's an accident 60 meters in front of him/her, at what deceleration must the car apply brakes in order to stop in time?

2. Relevant equations
    s(t) = [tex]\int(v)t[/tex]
    v(t) = [tex]\int(a)t[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I know the physics equation that I could use for this very easily (vf^2 = vo^2+2a \Delta (x)
    But, for my calculus class I have to do it obvously with only calculus. I don't know why i can't get this, but I have a feeling it will be on my exam tomorrow so I need to know how to show the work.

I am setting it up that V(t) = at + Vot, then integrating to find s(t), but after this point, I have
    s(t) = 1/2 a t^2 + vot +s(0) s(0) is 0 for this case because it is from the point of applying brakes.... Anyway, where do I go from here? I am kinda lost and really don't know why.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, since you were initially going at 30 m/s, you have [itex]v(t)= at+ 30[/itex] and [itex]s(t)= (1/2)at^2+ 30t[/itex].

The point is that you want to have v(t)= 0 before s(t)= 60. Since the problem asks for a single answer, you want to stop just in time: v(t)= 0 and s(t)= 60. Solve those two equations for a.

4. Dec 11, 2009 #3
    Halls,
    Thank you very much for that. I don't know why I just couldn't see it right, I took physics more recently than calculus, so I couldn't remember exactly how to derive the equations.

By the way, a question very similar to this was on my final and i got it! thanks again!

Ben

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook