Integrating $$1-y^2$$: Simplifying Arcsins

• MHB
  • Thread starter NotaMathPerson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation is about using trigonometric substitution to evaluate the integral of (1-y^2)^(1/2) with respect to y. The person in the conversation suggests using the substitution y=sin(theta) and then applying the double-angle identity for cosine to simplify the integral. They ultimately arrive at the final answer of 1/2 * (arcsin(y) + y*sqrt(1-y^2)) + c. It is also noted that there is no need to eliminate the inverse sine function in the final answer.
NotaMathPerson

$$\int(1-y^2)^\frac{1}{2}\,dy$$

I did trig substitution

$$y=\sin\theta$$
$$dy=\cos\theta\,d\theta$$

$$\int(1+\cos2\theta)d\theta$$
$$\arcsin\,y+\frac{1}{2}\sin(2\arcsin\,y)+c$$

How do I get rid of the arcsins?

Physics news on Phys.org
After your trig. substitution and appliction of the double-angle identity for cosine, you should have:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{2}\int 1+\cos(2\theta)\,d\theta=\frac{1}{2}\left(\theta+\frac{1}{2}\sin(2\theta)\right)+C\)

Okay, now at this point we can apply a double-angle identity for sine and state:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{2}\left(\theta+\sin(\theta)\cos(\theta)\right)+C\)

Okay, now you can back-substitute for $\theta$, observing that:

\(\displaystyle \theta=\arcsin(y)\)

\(\displaystyle \sin(\theta)=y\)

\(\displaystyle \cos(\theta)=\sqrt{1-y^2}\)

And so we find:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{2}\left(\arcsin(y)+y\sqrt{1-y^2}\right)+C\)

And that's the final answer...no need to "get rid" of the inverse sine function. :D

Related to Integrating $$1-y^2$$: Simplifying Arcsins

1. What is the formula for integrating 1-y^2?

The formula for integrating $$1-y^2$$ is $$\int (1-y^2)dy = y - \frac{y^3}{3} + C$$, where C is the constant of integration.

2. Why is it important to simplify arcsins?

Simplifying arcsins is important because it allows us to express the solution in a simpler and more concise form. It also helps us to better understand the relationship between the given function and its inverse trigonometric function.

3. How do you simplify arcsins of 1-y^2?

To simplify arcsins of 1-y^2, we can use the trigonometric identity $$\sin^2x + \cos^2x = 1$$, where x is the angle. Rearranging this identity, we get $$\sin^2x = 1-\cos^2x$$. Substituting x with arcsin(y), we get $$\sin^2(arcsin(y)) = 1- \cos^2(arcsin(y)) = 1-y^2$$. Therefore, $$arcsin(y) = \sqrt{1-y^2}$$.

4. Can we integrate 1-y^2 without simplifying arcsins?

Yes, we can integrate 1-y^2 without simplifying arcsins. However, the resulting integral will be more complex and may require more steps to solve. Simplifying arcsins can make the integration process easier and more manageable.

5. What are some applications of integrating 1-y^2?

Integrating 1-y^2 has various applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. For example, it can be used to calculate the area under a curve, which is important in finding the work done by a variable force. It is also useful in finding the volume of a solid of revolution and in solving problems involving projectile motion.