1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating challenge I am having

1. Oct 1, 2014 #1
    Hi, I am doing an exercise practice samples for the upcoming quiz, and stumbled across two questions I'm having trouble solving....

First question is to integrate integral e-x2 dx ...where the solution is equal to pi1/2

Also...

As for the second question (of a different equation) how can one solve for the result when I integrated an equation (another example) and got a x*e-x2 = ?, where x = -infinite to x = infinite? The answer is 0, but I don't know how to get there.

If anyone could explain, I'd appreciate it!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In the first problem:$$\int e^{-x^2}\;dx$$... where the solution is ##\sqrt{\pi}## ?
    Did you miss out the limits of the integration?
    Over the entire number line, this is called "the Gaussian Integral".
    See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_integral

For the other one: $$\int_{-\infty}^\infty xe^{-x^2}\; dx = 0 $$ ...you should be able to tell that is true by looking at the symmetry, but you may prefer to use a substitution.
    What have you tried?

4. Oct 1, 2014 #3
    Hello, thank you for hints--I just realized I made a mistake in my substitution. I got 0--and yes, since the area under the one curve is + and the other -, altogether, they become 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted