Integrating dq to find that q(r) = Q(1-e^(-r/R))

  • Thread starter Thread starter jk0921
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integrating
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
jk0921
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


provided with data that
dq = rho(r) *4phi*r^2*dr
rho(r) = [Q*e^(-r/R) / 4phi R *r^2)

I have to show that the charge q(r) enclosed in a sphere of radius r is q(r) = Q(1-e^(-r/R)) by using appropriate integral. how the integral should be?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I've tried to integrate dq = ... but I can't find the final answer that q(r) = Q(1-e^(-r/R))
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jk0921 said:
I've tried to integrate dq = ... but I can't find the final answer that q(r) = Q(1-e^(-r/R))

It is a pretty straightforward integration. Why not post what you've tried so we can see where you are going wrong?
 
The easiest way is to integrate the charge density in a fitted coordinate system!

Cause you need
[tex]Q(r) = \int \limits_{\mathcal{V}} \, d^3r \, \rho(r)[/tex]​
of a sphere, the most suitable one is the spherical coordinate system. So you need the volume element
[tex]d^3r = \rm{?}[/tex]​
and perform the integration!



PS:
In the statement
[tex]dq = 4\pi \, r^2 \,\rho(r) \cdot dr[/tex]​
two integrations are already perfomed, so the best way to undestand it completley is to do it like I've said above!