Calculate the electric field in all of space for a non conducting sphere

In summary: I apologize for any confusion,In summary, Gauss's Law can be used to find the electric field in all space for a non-conducting sphere with volumetric charge distribution ρ=ρ0r3 and radius, R.
cookiemnstr510510

Homework Statement

A) Use Gauss's Law to derive the electric field in all space for a non-conducting sphere with volumetric charge distribution ρ=ρ0r3 and radius, R.
B) Repeat when there is a concentric spherical cavity within the non conducting sphere with radius, A.

Homework Equations

∫E⋅dA=Qenclosed0
ρ=Q/V (charge density)

The Attempt at a Solution

Im struggling with part B more than A, but since B uses part A's answer (in a way) I will show both my attempts

A) I drew a picture (sphere.jpg attached) and will use words to explain what I am doing.
My sphere has radius, R.
My Gaussian Surface has radius, A.
I will be finding dQ of a small spherical piece of the sphere, the radius of this small spherical piece is, r, and has thickness, dr.

First find dQ
we know that ρ=Q/V →dQ=ρdV since ρ=ρ0r3 and dV=(4πr2)(dr) let's plug those into our dQ:
dQ=(ρ0r3)(4πr2)(dr)

We can now find our Qenclosed of gaussian surface.
My below integral's limits go from 0→a (a being the radius of my gaussian surface)
Qenclosed=∫dQ=∫ (ρ0r3)(4πr2)(dr)=4πρ0∫r4→once evaluated= (4πρ0a5)/5 (this is our Qenclosed)
Now we can use gauss's law to find electric field
E(4πa2)=(4πρ0a5)/(5ε0)
and finally:
E=(ρa3)/(5ε0)→E(r)=ρr3)/(5ε0)r(hat)
This is the answer if you are inside the sphere at some distance r<R

Now for outside the sphere:

We can go to the Qenclosed and just change the limits, instead of integrating from 0→a, we can integrate from 0→R. If we do this our Qenclosed becomes:

Qenclosed=(4πρ0R5)/5

My new gaussian surface has radius a'

E(4πa'2)=(4πρ0R5)/(5ε0)
solving for E:
E=(ρ0R5)/(5a'2ε0)

Now for part B

Again, new limits for Qenclosed, the limits now are going from A→a
our new Qenclosed=[(4πρ0a5)/(5)]-[(4πρ0A5)/(5)]
and our new E=[(ρ0a3)/(5ε0)]-[(ρ0A5)/(5a2ε0)

and outside our Qenclosed=[(4πρ0R5)/(5)]-[(4πρ0A5)/(5)]
and our new E=[(ρ0R5)/(5a2ε0)]-[(ρ0A5)/(5a2ε0)

Hope that was clear enough, please ask for more steps if I am wrong.
thanks!

Attachments

• Sphere.jpg
    Sphere.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 250
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,
cookiemnstr510510 said:
Qenclosed=∫dQ=∫ (ρ0r3)(4πr2)(dr)=4πρ0∫r4→once evaluated= (4πρ0a5)/5
How do you do this ?

Likes cookiemnstr510510
BvU said:
Hello,
How do you do this ?
Ahh, I believe I made a mistake,
It is supposed to evaluate like:
∫ρ0r34πr2dr→(2πρ0a6)/3

Likes BvU

1. How do you calculate the electric field for a non conducting sphere?

To calculate the electric field for a non conducting sphere, you can use the formula E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.

2. What is the significance of a non conducting sphere in calculating the electric field?

A non conducting sphere does not allow the flow of electric current, which means that the charge remains constant on the surface of the sphere. This allows for a simpler calculation of the electric field compared to a conducting sphere, where the charge can move freely.

3. How does the electric field vary with distance from the non conducting sphere?

The electric field varies inversely with the square of the distance from the non conducting sphere. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases.

4. Can the electric field be negative for a non conducting sphere?

Yes, the electric field can be negative for a non conducting sphere. This occurs when the charge of the sphere is negative, resulting in a negative electric field. However, the magnitude of the electric field will always be positive.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the electric field for a non conducting sphere?

Yes, the electric field can also be affected by the presence of other charges in the surrounding space. These charges can create a net electric field that influences the electric field of the non conducting sphere.