Integrating dx/(2+sin(x)) using a complex substitution

In summary, the student is trying to solve an integral equation involving a complex variable, but is having difficulty doing so. He finds a hint from a classmate and implements it to get the correct answer.
MissMoneypenny

Homework Statement

Compute the real integral

[itex]\int\frac{dθ}{2+sin(θ)}[/itex], where the limits of integration are from 0 to 2π

by writing the sine function in terms of the exponential function and making the substitution z=e[itex]^{iθ}[/itex] to turn the real integral into a complex integral.

Homework Equations

sin(z)=[itex]\frac{e^{iz}-e^{-iz}}{2i}[/itex]

Cauchy's integral formula.

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote sin(θ)=[itex]\frac{e^{iθ}-e^{-iθ}}{2i}[/itex] and plugged that into the integral. The integrand then simplifies to [itex]\frac{2i}{4i+e^{iθ}+e^{-iθ}}[/itex]. Letting z=e[itex]^{iθ}[/itex] gives dθ=[itex]\frac{dz}{iz}[/itex]. However, plugging this substitution back into the integral gives

[itex]\int\frac{2dz}{-4z+iz^{2}-1}[/itex]

That's where I get stuck. I'm not sure where to go from here. I thought about using partial fractions, but that seems like it may be a nastier approach than necessary. Any help will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are the limits on the original integral?

You also seemed to have made an algebra mistake somewhere. The integrand should be ##\frac{2}{z^2+4iz-1}\,dz.##

Last edited:
Hi vela,

Thanks for the reply! Yes, there should certainly be limits on the original integral. Integration is performed from 0 to 2π. I've added the limits to my post. You're also correct about my algebra error. Nonetheless, even with the correct integrand I'm not sure where to go.

Thanks again.

It's a contour integration now, right? Use the residue theorem.

Last edited:
This problem is listed several chapters before the residue theorem is presented, so I think that there must be some way to do it without the residue theorem. On the midterm I have coming up we won't be allowed to use the residue theorem, so I was wondering if there's another way to do it. The problem comes at the end of the first chapter on integration with respect to complex variables. The chapter presents Cauchy's integral formula.

MissMoneypenny said:
This problem is listed several chapters before the residue theorem is presented, so I think that there must be some way to do it without the residue theorem. On the midterm I have coming up we won't be allowed to use the residue theorem, so I was wondering if there's another way to do it. The problem comes at the end of the first chapter on integration with respect to complex variables. The chapter presents Cauchy's integral formula.

Are there not standard formulas for integrals of the form
[tex] \int \frac{dz}{a z^2 + b z + c}?[/tex]
You must have done this in calculus 101.

MissMoneypenny said:
Oh, okay. Factor the denominator. One of the poles, say ##z_1##, will lie inside the contour so that you have
$$\int_C \frac{2}{z^2+4iz-1}\,dz = \int_C \frac{2}{(z-z_1)(z-z_2)}\,dz = \int_C \frac{g(z)}{z-z_1}\,dz,$$ where ##g(z) = \frac{2}{z-z_2}##. You can use the Cauchy integral formula to evaluate the latter integral.

Awesome, thanks a lot for the hint! Following your hint I got the correct answer. Thanks again, have a great day :)

1. How do you choose a complex substitution for integrating dx/(2+sin(x))?

The most commonly used complex substitution for integrating dx/(2+sin(x)) is z = e^(ix), which transforms the integral into a simpler form. However, you can also use other substitutions such as z = tan(x/2) or z = cos(x). The key is to choose a substitution that will eliminate the sine function and make the integral easier to solve.

2. What is the general process for integrating dx/(2+sin(x)) using a complex substitution?

The general process for integrating dx/(2+sin(x)) using a complex substitution is as follows:

1. Choose a suitable complex substitution, such as z = e^(ix).
  2. Express dx in terms of dz using the substitution, i.e. dx = (dz/i)*e^(-iz).
  3. Substitute the new dx and the complex substitution into the integral.
  4. Simplify the integral and solve for the new variable z.
  5. Convert the solution back to the original variable x to obtain the final answer.

3. Can you provide an example of integrating dx/(2+sin(x)) using a complex substitution?

Yes, for example, let's use the substitution z = e^(ix). Then, dx = (dz/i)*e^(-iz). Substituting these into the integral, we get:
∫dx/(2+sin(x)) = ∫[(dz/i)*e^(-iz)]/[(2+sin(x))] = (1/i)∫[e^(-iz)]/[(2+sin(x))].
Next, we can use the identity e^(-iz) = cos(z) - i*sin(z) to simplify the integral as follows:
(1/i)∫[cos(z)]/[(2+sin(x))] - (∫sin(z)]/[(2+sin(x))] = (1/i)∫[cos(z)]/[(2+sin(x))] - (∫sin(x)]/[(2+sin(x))].
Finally, we can integrate each term separately and convert back to the original variable x to obtain the final answer.

4. What are some tips for solving integrals involving complex substitutions?

Some tips for solving integrals involving complex substitutions are:

• Choose a substitution that will simplify the integral and eliminate the sine function.
  • Remember to express dx in terms of the new variable and substitute it into the integral.
  • Use trigonometric identities to simplify the integral.
  • Integrate each term separately and convert back to the original variable to obtain the final answer.
  • Practice with various examples to become more familiar with the process.

5. Are there any other methods for integrating dx/(2+sin(x)) besides using a complex substitution?

Yes, there are other methods for integrating dx/(2+sin(x)) such as using trigonometric identities, partial fractions, or integration by parts. However, using a complex substitution is often the most efficient and straightforward method for solving this type of integral. It is always a good idea to try different methods to see which one works best for a particular integral.