1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating for approximation of a sum

1. May 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find an N so that ##∑^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{log(n)}{n^2}## is between ##∑^{N}_{n=1}\frac{log (n)}{n^2}## and ##∑^{N}_{n=1}\frac{log(n)}{n^2}+0.005.##

2. Relevant equations
    Definite integration

3. The attempt at a solution
    I began by taking a definite integral: ##\int^{\infty}_{N}\frac{log(n)}{n^2}dn## and, using integration by parts, arrived at the following answer: ##\frac{log(N)+1}{N}##. (Is this right? If not, I could post the steps I used to try to see where I made an error)

Next we need ##\frac{log(N)+1}{N}## to be within 0.005 as given by the problem, so:

##\frac{log(N)+1}{N}=0.005=\frac{1}{200}##

But I'm having trouble how to solve for N algebraically. Would appreciate any help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2014 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

I actually got -1 times what you have. remember: ##\int \frac{1}{n^2} = -\frac{1}{n}##

4. May 15, 2014 #3
    Right but since we're taking a definite integral on the interval from N to ∞, and since ##\frac{-log(N)-1}{N}## as N approaches infinity equals zero, shouldn't the definite integral work out to:
    ##0-\frac{-log(N)-1}{N}=\frac{log(N)+1}{N}##?

5. May 15, 2014 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

Your integral is correct.

The graph of [itex]x^{-2}\log(x)[/itex] has a maximum in [itex][1,2][/itex], so it's difficult to say whether the integral is an over-estimate or under-estimate of the sum. To be safe I'd require that [tex]\frac{\log(N) + 1}{N} < \frac{1}{400}[/tex].

Equations of that type have to be solved numerically. You're looking for zeroes in [itex]x > 0[/itex] of [tex]f(x) = \frac{x}{200} - 1 - \log x[/tex]. The derivative of this function is [tex]
    f'(x) = \frac{1}{200} - \frac{1}{x}[/tex] so the second derivative ([itex]x^{-2}[/itex]) is everywhere positive. There is a minimum at [itex]x = 200[/itex] where [itex]f(200) < 0[/itex]. Since [itex]f(x) \to +\infty[/itex] as [itex]x \to 0[/itex] or [itex]x \to \infty[/itex] there are exactly two solutions. Logic dictates you want the larger, since if [itex]N[/itex] works then any larger [itex]M[/itex] should also work.

6. May 15, 2014 #5
    Thanks, I tried solving it numerically and came up with N = 1687, which the textbook confirms is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted