Integration and antiderivatives in class

In summary: You've got an error. If f(x)= x- 3, then f'(x)= 1. If F(x) is the anti-derivative of f(x), then F'(x)= f(x)= x- 3. F(x)= (1/2)x^2- 3x+ C. Again, you have an error. If g(x)= 1/x, then g'(x)= -1/x^2. If G(x) is the anti-derivative of g(x), then G'(x)= g(x)= 1/x. G(x)= ln(x)+ C. The "first method" does not work because it does not apply
3ephemeralwnd
Ive just started learning about integration and antiderivatives in class, and I've got a question

Say we have:

f(x) = 1/x^3 , and f'(x) = F(x)

g(x) = 1/X , and g'(x) = G(x)

then to find the antiderivative of f(x), i would solve it like this:
first rewrite it as : x^(-3),
= x^(-3 + 1) / ( -3+1)
= x^ (-2) / (-2)
which i believe is the correct antiderivative function

but for g(x), if i were to use the same method, i'd get
x^(-1),
= x^(-1+1)
= x^0
= 1
but the actual antiderivative is ln|x| (since the derivative of lnx = 1/x)

why doesn't that the first method work anymore?

Physics news on Phys.org

3ephemeralwnd said:
Ive just started learning about integration and antiderivatives in class, and I've got a question

Say we have:

= x^(-3 + 1) / ( -3+1)
= x^ (-2) / (-2)

x^(-1),
= x^(-1+1)
= x^0
= 1

Actually, you'll get x^(-1+1)/(-1+1) which is undefined because the denominator is zero. All this shows is that the power rule is inapplicable in this case and another method has to be applied. Depending on how you define the natural logarithm, it's either trivial to find the antiderivative of x^-1 or it will take some work, for instance if you start with the infinite series definition of e.

3ephemeralwnd said:

Say we have:

The above is incorrect if F(x) is supposed to be an antiderivative of f(x). As you have things, F(x) = f'(x) = d/dx(x-3) = -3x-4. Since the thread title indicates that you are interested in antiderivatives, not derivatives, the second equation above should be f(x) = F'(x). IOW, the derivative of some as-yet-unknown function F(x) is 1/x3.

3ephemeralwnd said:
Same as above. What I think you mean is that g(x) = G'(x), and you would like to find G(x).
3ephemeralwnd said:
= x^(-3 + 1) / ( -3+1)
= x^ (-2) / (-2)
For this problem, you have the basic technique right, but what you are saying isn't correct. The main thing that is wrong is that you are saying that the f(x) is equal to its own antiderivative, which is almost never true. Here's what you should be saying:

f(x) = x-3
[tex]F(x) = \int f(x) dx = \int x^{-3}dx = \frac{x^{-2}}{-2} + C[/tex]

The other thing is that you are leaving out the constant of integration, which I show above as C. Differentiation and antidifferentiation are opposite operations, with one important difference: For any given (differentiable) function, there is only one derivative. For any given (integrable) function, there are an infinite number of antiderivatives.

3ephemeralwnd said:

x^(-1),
= x^(-1+1)
= x^0
= 1

You are using the integration power rule, but you aren't reading the fine print. This rule says that
[tex]\int x^n dx = \frac{x^{n +1}}{n + 1} + C[/tex]
provided that n [itex]\neq[/itex] -1.
That's the fine print.

Specifically, [itex]x^{n+1}/(n+1)[/itex] is the anti-derivative of [itex]x^n[/itex] (as long as [itex]x\ne -1[/itex] because the derivative of [itex]x^n[/itex] is [itex]nx^{n-1}[/itex] for all n and so the derivative of [itex]x^{n+1}/(n+1)[itex] is [itex](n+1)/(n+1)x^{n+1-1}= x^n[/math].

That is NOT correct for n= -1 because the derivative of [itex]x^{-1+ 1}= x^0= 1[/itex] is 0.

However, there is a function, f(x), whose derivative is 1/x. Do you know what it is?

What is integration and antiderivatives?

Integration and antiderivatives are mathematical operations that are used to find the general solution of a differential equation. Integration involves finding the area under a curve, while antiderivatives involve finding the original function that would give the derivative of a given function.

What is the difference between integration and differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are inverse operations. Differentiation involves finding the rate of change of a function, while integration involves finding the original function given its rate of change. In simple terms, integration is the opposite of differentiation.

What are the different methods for finding integrals?

There are several methods for finding integrals, including substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. These methods involve manipulating the given function to simplify it and make it easier to integrate.

Why is understanding integration and antiderivatives important?

Integration and antiderivatives are important in many areas of science, engineering, and economics. They are used to solve differential equations, which are essential in modeling real-world phenomena. Understanding these concepts also helps in understanding the fundamental principles of calculus.

What are some real-life applications of integration and antiderivatives?

Integration and antiderivatives have numerous real-life applications, including calculating areas and volumes, finding the position and velocity of moving objects, and determining the growth rate of populations. These concepts are also used in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to model and analyze various systems and processes.